Source for replacement hoot gearbox centrifugal clutch and/or pads

GoldenMotor.com

meander

Mar 4, 2011
Olympia, WA
I'm trying to repair/replace a centrifugal clutch for a hoot gearbox that came with the 49cc 4 stroke engine kit that I purchased from Daemonbikes a 1.5 years ago.

The bolt holding the centrifugal clutch onto the crankshaft came loose as I was riding, the clutch came off and wedged against the clutch bell. One of the clutch pads was worn down on one side.. After taking everything apart and putting it back together it works fine until I start it up and then the clutch dislodges and wedges against the clutch bell.

I think this problem will be resolved if I can:
1. find a place to obtain a replacement pad
2. find a place to obtain the same centrifugal clutch
3. find a replacement centrifugal clutch that will work with the hoot gearbox

Has anyone had this problem or know of a place to find these replacement parts? The only thing that seems to be a problem is the worn pad.

Thanks!

Attachments

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Has anyone had this problem or know of a place to find these replacement parts? The only thing that seems to be a problem is the worn pad.

Thanks!
The EZ Motorbike guys have a lot of Hoot transmissions as take offs.
That's if they haven't trashed them for scrap money.

Try MotorBikeMike on this site or www.EZMotorbike.com
Good Luck! :)

How many miles did you have on your Hoot before it broke?

PS: I have one in pieces as a conversation piece and to show people
how badly they are made. :D

Last edited:

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Let me know when you find something. I just turned 1500 miles on my hoot and it is still
running fine. Your post prompted me to look at the clutch for wear and it still looks brand new. How many miles do you have on yours? Oh, I learned to use lock-tite on the clutch bolt from spinning out.

meander

Mar 4, 2011
Olympia, WA
So, I think I figured something out that will work.

I got ahold of a clutch that works with the Stage III gearbox.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/centrifugal-clutch-p-283.html

The fit of the clutch is a little too tight in the clutch bell, so it is a bummer that the clutch no longer works centrifugally, but it functions and I am not worried about the thing exploding and damaging the engine. Hopefully the clutch shoe pads wear down and I will again enjoy the luxury of not having to run start my bike.

Also the hole in the middle of the clutch was not the same size as the crankshaft, so I had to use 3 shims made from an RC Cola can.

Pretty much everyone that has responded to this post or that I have talked to that knows anything about motorized bicycles has asked how many miles I had on the gearbox. The day that the bolt came loose I had been riding on fire roads and dirtbike paths in the Capitol State Forest. I'd like to think that if I had used some Loctite I would still be riding on this gearbox, but who knows. My guess is that I've got about a 150-200 miles on it so far. Apparently the clutch bell will go next, so I'm told.

So far so good though. I've already put 25 miles on it and tomorrow hope to put on another 50. I will keep an update via this posting, most likely as I experience problems. I want to say thanks a bunch to everybody that contributes to this site which is an amazing resource for everyone using motorized bicycles.

Attachments

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
How did that clutch work out for you? At 6 k my motor froze up and I noticed the clutch is down to the foundation. I ordered a new motor but sure need a new clutch. I can't find a 4g transmission anywhere either. Other than the clutch, the hoot gearbox has been very good to me.

Geach

Mar 23, 2014
IL
Hello you can find that clutch on Ebay,it's Called a Rammer Clutch! For A Hoot transmission .dance1