Glued Flywheels on an old Style Crankshaft

GoldenMotor.com

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
Hallo to all.
My new 48cc Noname is apart. I bought a couple of bearings to replace them with better ones. And finally I wanted to balance the crankshaft and true it if necessary.

Now here's my problem:
the flywheels are melted, glued, resined with the main body of the crankshaft. Is it that often? It's a really hard mass around. The 6 screws are also available as usual. How do you remove this mess to get the flywheels off? I didn't find anything about that in the forum. Can somebody please give some tips?

I would not ask if the crank would be balanced properly. But it isn't. I've determined the balance factor. It is rather precise -2% for bad vibrations.

Thank you - Multipaul

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
Thank you, Bikeguy Joe and VMB for your fast answers. Now I know what to do.

If there is interrest, I can explain the correct process of balancing here. But I'm afraid that will be boring. On the other side, there a threads where it is explained step by step.
Here and there with some smaller errors. But all in all that brought improvements.

Fact is that you can bore anywhere around the cranc pin and the balance factor will become better so that the engine will run smoother. In the case of my engine I wrote that the balance factor is -2% from factory. That would be okay for engines with horizontal cylinders and strong bearings. But not for our HTs.

The 6202 bearings are not the strongest ones. So I will try to achieve 58% which is the best value for the main bearings because the forces will reach their minimum. But that will take some time.

Again thank you!

Multipaul

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"If there is interrest, I can explain the correct process of balancing here. But I'm afraid that will be boring."

Would enjoy reading your thoughts on it Paul. Certainly not boring at all. I have found all your posts informative and interesting.

So folks can find it, would suggest a new thread. (with pictures for us slow guys, lol)

Thanks again for taking the time to post all your findings. Has been really interesting.

Have you talked to zman yet?

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
... (with pictures for us slow guys, lol)
Oh Dan, that was hard (lol). That's a little bit my problem. I don't want to be your smartass from Germany. People are so different. But every person has his value.

I'm still learning every day. Sometimes I am wrong, which I admit (in most cases). I love the details and know that this is boring for many people. So please be lenient with me.

It's a part of my character that I do not promise to do something and then don't do it. Even if it lasts some time.

Multipaul

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It's all good and no worries Kollege. Really good folks here and your among friends.

The only thing more fun then talking about the details of MBs, is arguing about the details of MBs. LOL

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
while you are at balancing,will you be putting in the details for aligning them as well?
i am curious how well my crank is aligned,plan on chucking it in my lathe when i get engine apart.