Whoops..doesn't fit

GoldenMotor.com

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Ok this is what I did. PVC pipe put on the rear part of engine. I tried the front and then the rear had a gap. So back to rear. This is NOT screwed in because I want to make sure I'm doing this right before I make the step to screw it in. There is no gap when placed like this. Please also do not mind my crazy masking tape LOL That will be cut out as soon as I make permanent placement. So what do you think.
1st pic is now 2nd was then

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
PVC won't do it. you were better off with it mounted the first way.
If you look at the photos, you'll see your carb will be more level that way too.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
if there was a way to split the difference between the two photos ,you would be right on the money.
you will get it,with the guidance of the pros here.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well, I like the colored tape better, but as Joe said, the pvc just won't do.
The pic with the black tape is quite good.
Skooch the back of the motor down just a tad, and lift the front equally, and your carb will sit just perfect! Perfect level is best, but they actually will function ok if a few degrees off.

You may un-fasten the four nuts on top of the cylinder head, remove the head, and reverse it so the plug sticks back to the rear, if you need more clearance for it. It probably does not make a lot of difference in operation.

You should buy a replacement NGK sparkplug and set that china plug aside.

Good progress!
rc

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If you need the PVC to make the engine level, what I would use is water pipe. Then take 4 muffler clamps, do away with the u bolts (won't be long enough) and get 4 bolts that will fit, along with 4 extra washers and lock nuts (use nuts that came with the clamps and double nut them). Install each part of the clamp curved side against the tube and pipe. You might need copper pipe to make shims between the clamp and bike tube. Just a thought. But you got the idea right that the mounts needs to be flush with the tube. You can get someone to wield the pipe on and repaint that area.

To do completely away with the PVC or pipe, mount the rear (or front) mount to the tube, to get the carburetor as level as you can, then work on getting a mount for which ever one you need. This will be a cleaner look, and more secure. Get rid of the cylinder stud nuts and, get locking nuts. Replace plug wire, cap, plug (like rusty said) with a NGK.

Read this... http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38952

Last edited:

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Well, I like the colored tape better, but as Joe said, the pvc just won't do.
The pic with the black tape is quite good.
Skooch the back of the motor down just a tad, and lift the front equally, and your carb will sit just perfect! Perfect level is best, but they actually will function ok if a few degrees off.

You may un-fasten the four nuts on top of the cylinder head, remove the head, and reverse it so the plug sticks back to the rear, if you need more clearance for it. It probably does not make a lot of difference in operation.

You should buy a replacement NGK sparkplug and set that china plug aside.

Good progress!
rc
Thanks I will change the spark plug. I got it to fit. What I did was to shove metal flashing in the tiny gaps. It really was tiny. My arms are sore from shoving it so tight . LOL Its not going anywhere. Not my idea someone here mentioned it and it sounded like what I needed to do. I will take a pic later on. I did shove the bottom down a bit and it looks good. Somehow I did it with just 2 curse words and no dinging up the bike. Please don't tell me it wasn't a good idea. I don't think my arms and take it. LOL ;)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Thanks I will change the spark plug. I got it to fit. What I did was to shove metal flashing in the tiny gaps. It really was tiny. My arms are sore from shoving it so tight . LOL Its not going anywhere. Not my idea someone here mentioned it and it sounded like what I needed to do. I will take a pic later on. I did shove the bottom down a bit and it looks good. Somehow I did it with just 2 curse words and no dinging up the bike. Please don't tell me it wasn't a good idea. I don't think my arms and take it. LOL ;)
Was the mount slightly loose before you shoved the metal in there, and then you tightened it?
If you shoved it in there with the mount already tight, there's not gonna be enough pressure on them they're prolly gonna work back out.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Oh my!

Golly, what an adventure you have undertaken!

I certainly hope you are appreciating every bit of this in entertainment value, in addition to the learning part. And that's not to mention when you begin tuning it, and actually riding!

Best
rc

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Was the mount slightly loose before you shoved the metal in there, and then you tightened it?
If you shoved it in there with the mount already tight, there's not gonna be enough pressure on them they're prolly gonna work back out.
No I should have been more clearer the mount was loose before I put the metal flashing in. I shove what ever I could in and then tightened it. Im sure if I stand on it it won't move but I'm not going to try that. Its good ...thanks.

Last edited:

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Oh my!

Golly, what an adventure you have undertaken!

I certainly hope you are appreciating every bit of this in entertainment value, in addition to the learning part. And that's not to mention when you begin tuning it, and actually riding!

Best
rc
I AM having fun doing this! I was the girl in HS that like the wood shop a lot better then the sewing classes. LOL I work 12 hour days so I have been doing one thing a night to get it set up. Hopefully by next week I'll be rolling. Can't wait!! :)

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY

I was wondering can I leave it the way it is if I get it secured(which I did). I was going to turn the spark plug around but if I did that I have no where to put the CDI:confused:(the wires look short).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That looks fine. If you did turn the head around, you could mount the CDI anywhere really, but why? If it works as-is, no need to "mess with it".

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Somebody mentioned it was to close but it doesnt touch the bike so to me it s fine. Thanks