Bicycle Engine Kit Not Starting

GoldenMotor.com

w1ldyovvnz

Apr 21, 2012
Ontario Canada
I Just bought a Bicycle Engine Kit off of eBay and put it together and was expecting it to run...Im almost always wrong. I checked to see if there was spark and that was all good then I put some gas into the cylinder and was expecting it to fire right up but It didn't. I am wondering if anyone knows much about these bikes and would know what the problem is, I was thinking it could be that the spark gap wasn't the proper distance apart but it matches what the Users Manual says. If anyone knows what could solve this that would be great.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome to the forum. Have a look around at some of the other posts like yours and you will find an answer.

Could be anything from not enough gas going to the engine to no spark under pressure.

Did you try the choke after priming the engine?

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I had Same problem as you. Replace your rotor and magneto and spark plug with a ngk spark plug. If that doesnt work its your CDI box.

If you mixed ur gas at 16:1 like the manual says it might not start up..

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I agree....don't go replacing parts for no reason. Test each component, and start with the cheapest and most simple solution first.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Also, the owner's manual is not always right, and might even be purposely wrong sometimes. if the gap is too narrow, the engine will run cold. too wide and it might run hot. wider gap means a longer burn. a narrow gap and a rich mix can cause non starting. you may not be able to tell where your gap should be until after break-in, but for now just pull your plug. if its wet then your too rich and your plug is fouled. let the plug dry after widening the gap. use a small flathead screwdriver to widen the gap a little at a time. after breakin, the color of your plug will tell you where your mixture is. if you see any white or grey, you are too lean and running hot. black and youre too rich. anywhere from tan or honey to toasty chocolate is the right color.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Here's an excellent guide from Al.Fisherman that may help:
http://tinyurl.com/7sn45h6

Your situation is not new and has been solved by many others in the past. No need to re-invent the wheel. As Bikeguy Joe stated, look around the forum and most likely your problem will be solved.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited: