help please!

GoldenMotor.com

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
So, I took off the clutch cover of the left side of the engine (while sitting on the bike) and now, the cover does NOT want to go back on, and the clutch does not engage or disengage.

So I went ahead and took off the cover on the right side, and everything is just so tight that its not even funny. I cant push the plate in or even turn the flower nut at all.

Please, someone give me some pointers and advice as to how i could repair it??

Thanks!

BTW, ive never run the engine. not even put gas into it. just finished the install today, and then this happened.

Thanks.:-||

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
You might need to adjust the clutch, so it will work right. Go on ( YOU TUBE) And watch the videos on how to adjust clutch. Or any other problem. Videos help more for me. I hope this helps.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Check to make sure that the clutch arm in the cover is installed correctly.
If it is, remove flower nut and flywheel and test again. The inner shaft in the clutch shaft (flower nut screws on to), should move freely, in and out.
Does your clutch cable move freely, or in a bind?
The bucking bar and bearing might need lubricated. (make sure both are in place)
I recommend that while the flywheel is off to clean the bearings in the clutch itself and re lubricate them. Use grease sparingly, I like to use a syringe to apply grease.

Last edited:

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
So in short. The smart thing would be to completely disassemble the clutch from end to end?
To try and find the problem? And if thats the case, how do I turn the nut without turning the clutch sprocket? would it be a good idea (or smart for that matter) to actually use a screwdriver to hold the clutch sprocket still while I turn the nut?

I tried Youtube and nothing really helped.

Thanks guys

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
So in short. The smart thing would be to completely disassemble the clutch from end to end?
To try and find the problem? And if thats the case, how do I turn the nut without turning the clutch sprocket? would it be a good idea (or smart for that matter) to actually use a screwdriver to hold the clutch sprocket still while I turn the nut?

I tried Youtube and nothing really helped.

Thanks guys
Take a penny and place it between the two gears so it jams them..then remove the nut. Another way is holding the drive sprocket with the chain.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Is the engine installed? if it is, and the cable is hooked up, make sure that the handlebar lever isn't locked.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
nothing is hooked up.... >.<*

Figured the problem out. The Clutch arm wont go all the way back into the clutch cover.
It pops out about 1/4 of an inch.
Seems like theres something stopping it somewhat in the middle of the cilynder of the clutch cover (on the left side if sitting on the bike)

What could be causing this? And should i just give it a few taps to see if it goes in all the way?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I woild dismantle those parts and determine what's stopping it. Did your bearing ball fall in there? it's about 1/4" diameter.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
nope. its all clean and clear. I wish i could remember how to freakin post pics...

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
nope. its all clean and clear. I wish i could remember how to freakin post pics...
What you are saying is that the clutch arm wasn't installed correctly? If you ever remove the cover, hold the cover and twist and pull up on the arm. Look in the hole and you should see an alignment pin, this pin when the arm is installed correctly will keep the arm working up in the cover. Glad you found your problem...not a hard engine to work on, rather very simple.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup!

Like Alf sez, there's a pin in the cover plate that retains the clutch cam... the one that turns a bit when the lever moves.

That pin may be goofed up.
Mine is GONE...
It works fine without it, and the cam doesn't come out when everything is in proper position, but it could, if the cover was removed and it was turned past the cam ramp section...

The prob here is that you went and messed with the flower nut when the problem was probably just in the cable adjustment end of things.
Now, best to follow Norm and Alf's instructions for setting up a clutch from scratch.

That way you will become familiar with how it operates and know well what is going on with the workings of the mechanism.

it really is a good system!
Far superior than a centrifugal clutch, because we can bump start.
And we get the primary gear reduction thrown in, which the briggs and trimmer engines don't have for this application.

Best
rc

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Its sad im still stumped. taking by the point i work on real car engines all the time...

The alingment pin seems to be the one causing the problem. The clutch arm still DOES NOT want to go into the cylinder ALL the way..it goes down, and theres about 1/4" that still does not want to go into the cylinder. and THATS whats causing the problem.

Theres nothing inside the pin cylinder stopping it from going in all the way.

im sooo confused!!!