I'm stumped here.Please help!

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
If it's running rich, you could try adjusting the float, and because your spark plug is wet, the engine may be running rich. So you've got no mid-range power? Try pulling off the air filter, then start the engine, warm it up, and go for a quick ride. See if you notice something. That's what was wrong on my bike (float setting and air filter, NT Carb). One more thing. I've heard somewhere else on this forum that a bad spark plug may spark when you test it outside the cylinder (visual spark test), but under pressure in the cylinder will deliver weak/no spark. Spark plugs are pretty cheap and the stock one is terrible anyways. Just something to consider...
thanks for your response but it runs bad with two different carbs one of them is new.It does the same thing with both ones.. The cns which ran good for about 8 months and so I thought it was the carb adjusted float checked jets and adjusted needle seats all of them...no better.So last week I put a new nt on same problem...

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
plug is gap 20-25 I tried several.....different gaps ....I still believe it's the coil or cdi but don't know how to test them.I know there getting spark but believe the spark is weak.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
See post #4...

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=27629

Sounds like it could be several things to me

1. Your timing may be off if your magnet has turned slightly on the crankshaft if the woodruff key is missing..

2. CDI or magneto is bad

3 Bad or loose wiring connections
Make sure you have that plug wire screwed in tightly to CDI black box

Did your bike get wet and is it wet inside the left side magneto cover?

TiM

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well Tim It could be any of them that's what I'm thinking.I cut all connector off and soldier all of them and put heat shrink on them about a month ago .I think after that It started so last night I cut them again and connected crimp connectors that's were I'm at now.I will run it tomorrow and see.I also had a small light hook up and cut it too and caped it off about 2 weeks ago but didn't help either

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Get a meter and check those resistance readings on the magneto windings. Also make sure on the back side of the magneto you use sandpaper and sand the shellac off where the ground is on the one bolt that goes through into the engine casing.

I doubt your problem is carb related if you got the same results with 2 different carbs

TiM

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I'm wanting the engine to idle longer then I'll dial the rest in.My main thing is the idle,after I get it to start it will idle about 2minutes and then cut out and die.It sound like a little tap in the head when it cuts out and then dies.So I thought that the plug was hitting the piston,wrong plug looks good and piston looks good no marks,but once it dies its hard starting again and the plug is wet.I'm really thinking timing or coil.I think when I had the little 6volt head light hook to the white wire it over worked the coil.Any more Idea's.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well to start the test does the engine need to be running lol,but it won't stay running to test it.That might be the big problem.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
That's a great link I think I'll go thorough it and save this one.I think I when fix the problem I'll let you guys know what the culprit was.

hookydoo

Feb 9, 2012
west virginia
I had a friend with a similar problem (I think). his would never start, but when it did, it would die again shortly afterward. I wasn't there mind you, but he told me he pulled the head off and found that his head bolts were stripped, he had a cracked piston ring, and his head gasket was ruined. He never did fix it, looking to buy another 66cc now. I hope this helps, if not, sorry for this post.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
If it's running rich, you could try adjusting the float, and because your spark plug is wet, the engine may be running rich. So you've got no mid-range power? Try pulling off the air filter, then start the engine, warm it up, and go for a quick ride. See if you notice something. That's what was wrong on my bike (float setting and air filter, NT Carb). One more thing. I've heard somewhere else on this forum that a bad spark plug may spark when you test it outside the cylinder (visual spark test), but under pressure in the cylinder will deliver weak/no spark. Spark plugs are pretty cheap and the stock one is terrible anyways. Just something to consider...
Definitely by a new plug an NGK toss the one you have now in a small tool bag for emergencies
P.S.very good observation about the under pressure spark or lack there of that happened to me once and after scratching my head , replacing the carb I bought a new plug "because it was the only thing I hadn't replaced yet" and sure as taxes and death it increased my power at take off , top speed even seemed to increase my fuel economy.
. For chits and giggles I put the old carb back on, and still ran just as good
all it was was the plug it showed spark but couldn't handle the pressure "No pun intended"