66cc engines. Does "Brand" matter?

GoldenMotor.com

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm about to buy a second engine for my second bike. The Raw engine I spent Waaaaay too much $ from the Raw website came with no label, markings, or any indication of manufacturer. no paperwork. it was the "top of the line kit" offered. but the slant looks like the standard, (and btw, what IS slanted?, the cylinder angle or the plug port?) or the eyes of the manufacturer?
Anyway, the kit also came with the bottom-rung throttle and grips. so I'm wondering if i actually got the highly reviewed RAW engine, or something else. In reading the forum It seems to me that of the choices, BGF's z80 engines are crap, the grubee has its share of fans, the PK80 from Lynn is NOT cheap, but supposedly "the Bomb". Motovelo's source is unknown, and seem to perform well after their easily-done-yourself mods. very confusing. -That being said,
RedB66, Chief, AZBill, Norm, Cruzin, 2door,

Can you give me a straight simple suggestion? in other words- if you were building a new one today, and looking for the best deal,

Which one would you get?!?!?!?! :) \m/,

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have bought from most vendors,,,
dax, BGF, Livefast, grubee,,,
I have had good and bad luck with all :(
(they are a pig-in-a-poke,,,you never know)
that being said,,,I got excellent customer service from Dax and Livefast,,,I send anybody local to them if asked ;)

BTW,,,Dax's accessories (tank, throttle, tensioner...etc) are higher quality than Livefast's

just my $.02

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm about to buy a second engine for my second bike. The Raw engine I spent Waaaaay too much $ from the Raw website came with no label, markings, or any indication of manufacturer. no paperwork. it was the "top of the line kit" offered. but the slant looks like the standard, (and btw, what IS slanted?, the cylinder angle or the plug port?) or the eyes of the manufacturer?
Anyway, the kit also came with the bottom-rung throttle and grips. so I'm wondering if i actually got the highly reviewed RAW engine, or something else. In reading the forum It seems to me that of the choices, BGF's z80 engines are crap, the grubee has its share of fans, the PK80 from Lynn is NOT cheap, but supposedly "the Bomb". Motovelo's source is unknown, and seem to perform well after their easily-done-yourself mods. very confusing. -That being said,
RedB66, Chief, AZBill, Norm, Cruzin, 2door,

Can you give me a straight simple suggestion? in other words- if you were building a new one today, and looking for the best deal,

Which one would you get?!?!?!?! :) \m/,
help!

and theres also the PK80 from Lynn at custommotorbicycles.com. She demands a money order though. is the PK80 as awesome as the rumors speculate? or again, are they all just the same, and no matter what you order, its a crapshoot as to what you'll get?

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I have bought from most vendors,,,
dax, BGF, Livefast, grubee,,,
I have had good and bad luck with all :(
(they are a pig-in-a-poke,,,you never know)
that being said,,,I got excellent customer service from Dax and Livefast,,,I send anybody local to them if asked ;)

BTW,,,Dax's accessories (tank, throttle, tensioner...etc) are higher quality than Livefast's

just my $.02
thanks Bill!

Atlanta CPR

Aug 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
help!

and theres also the PK80 from Lynn at custommotorbicycles.com. She demands a money order though. is the PK80 as awesome as the rumors speculate? or again, are they all just the same, and no matter what you order, its a crapshoot as to what you'll get?
I have a PK80 on a MTB that is strong and good.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
It all depends on your patience and the way you build. If you just slap everything together without taking some extra steps for security, then you are just asking for problems. You just need to take your time and swap out the engine hardware, loctite everything, and break-in & tune the motor properly, then any kit will do the job as good as the next. However the PK80 and grubee66's have a higher compression ratio then other kits, that's probably why they are considered to be faster. The thing to look for is "after sale customer service". Do you want to buy a motor from someone that will just take your money and never answer the phone again.

If you ask me, I say go through thatsdax.com, his prices are a little higher then other vendors, but the customer service and warranty is next to best. He is a local vendor for many members in my area including 2door and myself. The F80 that he stocks is the same internally as the PK-80 & Grubee 66. I have a modified Grubee66 on one bike that is flawless, and a PK-80 on another bike that is still being setup. They are both good kits and do the job.