Grubee Starfire SuperRat Engine Kit!

GoldenMotor.com

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
My only question about the Super Rat is how much bigger is it from front to back? It seems like it would need a bigger hole in the frame to fit as the bottom of the case appears to be larger to fit the CDI in. That is the only thing from holding me back. If I knew that it would fit or what bikes it will fit, I would be ordering it ASAP.

I will not have the opportunity to get the engine and then measure bike frames as I plan to order my bike on the internet. I am leaning toward a Greenline but may pick up a Cadillac El Derado (they look pretty much the same but the cadillac emblem is pretty cool.

Last edited:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Not sure if it will help you out...but the manual for the SuperRat is at this link: http://www.gasbike.net/images_templ/GT5_SR_Manual.pdf .

Been looking at it as my next engine since they sent out the announcement earlier this past week. The worst part is that the older I get...the easier it is to not notice the important things...so I didn't notice it was there till a few minutes ago while looking for the dimensions of the engine for scottmanesis.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try out the SR! I will let everyone know how the build goes. I will not be able to do it all at once on my limited budget but I am 99 percent positive I am going to start with this engine and go from there! :)

I hope the aftermarket guys get on this one quick with billet intakes and tuned pipes etc for it.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try out the SR! I will let everyone know how the build goes. I will not be able to do it all at once on my limited budget but I am 99 percent positive I am going to start with this engine and go from there! :)

I hope the aftermarket guys get on this one quick with billet intakes and tuned pipes etc for it.
No problem at all. Just can't believe that I didn't notice the link before now.

My buddy and I have been looking at this one as well. When Uncle Sam gets me my refund...am going to get either this or the GT5...according to what my buddy/mechanic tells me is the best deal to stay on the road longer than 2-3 months this upcoming year.

My buddy got the GT2 last year from Spooky Tooth and never had a bit of problem with it...while I got the Flying Horse 66cc from another sponsor on this site. Ended up putting about 150 miles on mine & watching the dream gallop away into the bitter sunset. Never had the carb fit on the intake...since both were the same size...so we wrapped them in rubber tubing. Also had electrical problems with mine...having changed out the CDI/Magneto 3 different times and not getting it started the last time they were changed.

He's going to buy the old engine from me and do a rebuild. If he gets it running...he'll give it to his sister to get around on. May even get a belt-drive replacement for the crappy gear-drive for the 4 stroke HS I have in the closet...if I can get plenty of time out of the new 2 stroke.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
I am fairly mechanically inclined so I will probably take the little motor apart the day it arrives and do the porting and polishing and see if I can find someone to balance the crank for me (I suck at math and don't have the proper equipment to do it right).

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I am fairly mechanically inclined so I will probably take the little motor apart the day it arrives and do the porting and polishing
Funny thing about the Flying Horse were the ports were clean. Even got a cut rubbing my finger checking for what they didn't.

see if I can find someone to balance the crank for me (I suck at math and don't have the proper equipment to do it right).
Might not be a bad idea...especially if I can find a small engine tech where I goto church at.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i have the GT5 build going right now. feels pretty solid although idk how it performs yet, one thing to be careful about is the studs where you mount the exhaust pipe to the motor, 1 came out on me today, was able to get it put back in since my dad saw what happened n was able to figure it out. i never would have gotten it back in place on my own though.

as far as porting goes i only did the exhaust pipe widened it up a bit. i was talking to goat here and he said most people who had to port were using older motors and since then manufacturers had gotten better with the castings.

also threads said if you polished it too much it was too smooth and actually hindered fuel atomization rather then helping it since that requires a somewhat rough surface to be done effectively.

just somethings to consider.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
The one thing I learned from my last build was to throw away the studs you get with the kit. Even with the "nylock" nuts which came with the kit...bought new ones. For the covers...put on "allen-head" bolts.

For the muffler...that cheap "clamp" they include is almost criminal. Ended up running to a hardware store and bought some steel hanging tape. 100 ft ran me less than $3 and held up under the heat and vibration.

Will be doing the same thing on the next build. The $20 the hardware ran me was more than worth the cost of the cheapest hardware they put in these kits.

With the next build...am going to make sure my buddy has his Dremel tool/attachments if there are any burrs left from the casting. If I remember right...he had to do this to his GT2 to the exhaust port.

Trix

Oct 16, 2010
PR
I already order my super rat with the expansion chamber!!!!!! we will port and tune this newbie all the way.......I will take you step by step with my new setup in my new schwinn 24" 1952 brnot

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Canada, Ontario, Brampton
i got my kit from gas bike i had to pay duite fees becaise i live in canada..... First of all im very unhappy i have the gt5 not the gt5 super rat with the intergated cdi and many more other things. i paid 265.00 for it + 90 bucks dutie fees. and also the air filter smashed apart.. i bought over 10 kits from zoom bicycle and i was hoping to pay alot more ( more then twice ) for a good quality new kit, im just very upset. and i pray i dont have to pay more fees to ship back to usa. Hope gasbike responds to me!

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
i got my kit from gas bike i had to pay duite fees becaise i live in canada..... First of all im very unhappy i have the gt5 not the gt5 super rat with the intergated cdi and many more other things. i paid 265.00 for it + 90 bucks dutie fees.
Very sad to hear about that. That's why I've been reading these forums more & more the closer I get to buying my next engine. Just like yourself...been looking to get the Rat...but with what happened to you...guess I'll go with Spooky & get the GT5...unless they've got in the Rat in about a month. If Birddog had the Rat or the GT5...I would also consider using them. Never had any issue like this from either of them.

and also the air filter smashed apart.. i bought over 10 kits from zoom bicycle and i was hoping to pay alot more ( more then twice ) for a good quality new kit,
Sounds like it might be worth it for you to find someone in the US to ship to them & pick it up from them. Would mean a trip down South...but at least you wouldn't be killed in the shipping charges.

im just very upset. and i pray i dont have to pay more fees to ship back to usa. Hope gasbike responds to me!
Let us know how it goes. Even though it's sad that this happened...if they don't help you...means a whole lot of sales which could've been.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
i got my kit from gas bike i had to pay duite fees becaise i live in canada..... First of all im very unhappy i have the gt5 not the gt5 super rat with the intergated cdi and many more other things. i paid 265.00 for it + 90 bucks dutie fees. and also the air filter smashed apart.. i bought over 10 kits from zoom bicycle and i was hoping to pay alot more ( more then twice ) for a good quality new kit, im just very upset. and i pray i dont have to pay more fees to ship back to usa. Hope gasbike responds to me!
So you ordered a GT5 SR and they shipped a plain jane GT5? That's a serious eff'up and a major pain for you to have to deal with considering there's a border that needs to be crossed. I was considering a super rat but a week or so ago after calculating the UPS rape me please brokerage fees I said screw that noise :rolleyes:

Was just thinking...UPS is probably the biggest reason why we don't see many Grubee engines up here in Canada.

Last edited:

demac

Mar 8, 2010
ya well i will let everyone in on this for sure i left several messages no one replyed yesterday, also today i did so. i paid so much extra for the superRat and got a plain old gt.

I will be getting them to have a UPS, man come to my house pick up the junk. also send me one back with out even hearing anything about fees. I m ready to build.. i hope i get thru sooooon!!

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Ya I wanted to buy one of these but after reading and reading here about this dealer I decided it wasnt worth taking the chance of having what happened to you happen to me. If any one gets one of these motors I would still like to know how it goes.

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Crazy! Good thing i saw this, Was going to order the rat motor today. I might hold out for a bit n see what happens. Sucks their only 1 supplier for this rat engine.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Be interesting to hear how you make out with the brokerage fees on the replacement kit. Unless they, Gasbike.net, are shipping the replacement UPS worldwide expedited UPS will normally bill the receiver for brokering a replacement through Canada Customs. Please keep us posted demac :)

demac

Mar 8, 2010
yes i will for sure! i wanna see this thing, i was "retarted" happy when the parcel got here, my girl friend told me to calm down. she helped me un box it after yelling at here to help..... Just sucks ill be waiting much more now, such a big screw up in my opinion..