2nd build...Genesis 29" Onyx with 80/66cc 2 stroke china girl.

GoldenMotor.com

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Ive done some research on the Genesis Onyx. I havent found a definite answer as to if a Sprocket Hub Adapter will fit on the the rear wheel of the 48 spoked rim or not. Everything else looks like it'll be straight forward. Anyone out there use a Hub adapter on that rim ?

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
I just want to add a few side questions as well besides wondering if the sprocket hub adapter will fit between the spokes of the 48 spoked 29" wheel. I've watched a few you tube videos of guys that did builds with the Genesis Onyx but none of the videos were really in debth. I was wondering what I should also prepare for ... Im hearing the stock tank straps wont work with the oversized bar, any ideas on what to do for that ? Also, Ive heard the handlebars are a different size than other bikes and the grips and throttle that come with the kit wont fit ? Also, I have a Schwinn swindler from my first build with the stock springer front fork that came with it. I was wondering if I can swap the Swindler Springer fork onto my Genesis Onys with no problems ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to say that Ive been bitten by the "BUG" guys !!! Man I love this hobby ! Also, I love being a part of this forum.

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
The kit rear rag joint will fit I had to leave one bolt out after every two and even then I had to kind of finagle it into the spokes, I don't have any pictures for you unfortunately but it will fit. So count two bolts, leave one out, count two leave one out etc you will have just six bolts. I never had a problem with it wobbling or coming loose with just six bolts.

I did manage to get the kit tank to fit sorta by bending the bolts out but I really really wouldn't recommend it. I used worm drive screw clamps to hold my tank on now although its not the kit tank so Im not sure if that can help you. Finally yes you will need 7/8ths handlebars with a 1 inch spot in the middle for clamping them on, I use wald handlebars good price, strong.

I can try to answer any more questions you have. Good luck with your 29er! Its a great ride with the big wheels.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
The kit rear rag joint will fit I had to leave one bolt out after every two and even then I had to kind of finagle it into the spokes, I don't have any pictures for you unfortunately but it will fit. So count two bolts, leave one out, count two leave one out etc you will have just six bolts. I never had a problem with it wobbling or coming loose with just six bolts.

I did manage to get the kit tank to fit sorta by bending the bolts out but I really really wouldn't recommend it. I used worm drive screw clamps to hold my tank on now although its not the kit tank so Im not sure if that can help you. Finally yes you will need 7/8ths handlebars with a 1 inch spot in the middle for clamping them on, I use wald handlebars good price, strong.

I can try to answer any more questions you have. Good luck with your 29er! Its a great ride with the big wheels.
Quietriot...thanks for the reply . I just ordered one of those those universal mounting brackets that you use. It looks to be of better quality then the ones that sent with the kit. Do you have any pics of that bracket on your build you can forward me ? Im being sent a CNC universal mounting bracket for free with my kit. Have you ever seen one of those ? Im wondering if id be able to use that on the rear end motor mount and use the one you showed me on the front end ? Anyways, for the handlebars im going to use my Schwinn Swindler handlebars from my 1st build on my Genesis . Ive also read about a quick and easy "mod" for the tank in using plumbers strap. It looks like the same metal strap you'd to keep you coaster break handle from moving. Seems easy enough. I like putting a few layers of thick 2 sided tape under the tank to keep it from shifting and all you need is some light pressure from the straps to tie it down. I cant wait to get started on this build. Everything should be here by Monday.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Real quick I forgot, you will want a mount for a larger downtube? I think thats what its called haha. This is the type I have it works great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...083043?hash=item41949b58e3:g:utcAAOSwVFlT86LP
BTW bro...Nice build ! I also wanted to add I already have the aftermarket sprocket hub adapter from my Schwinn Swindler. Im reading that the Onyx and Swindler have the same Falcon Hub. I actually have 3 extra rims because 1 was warped and they kept on sending me defective rims and i dont have the patience to true a wheel yet. If they are the same hubs i have the replacement bearings for a while. That 1st build was a freaking nightmare.

Last edited:

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
I just realized when I went out to take a picture that I have a slightly different mount. I dont see why the one I linked wouldn't work just as well.

I dont have any experience with the rear mount you mentioned I just have the stock kit mount in the rear.

sorry for the messy pics, Im in the middle of updating my build and its not all finished and cleaned up yet haha was not ready to show off yet.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
I just realized when I went out to take a picture that I have a slightly different mount. I dont see why the one I linked wouldn't work just as well.

I dont have any experience with the rear mount you mentioned I just have the stock kit mount in the rear.

sorry for the messy pics, Im in the middle of updating my build and its not all finished and cleaned up yet haha was not ready to show off yet.
Quietriot522,
Well I got my Schwinn Swindler with the 80/66cc 2 stroke silver slant running last night. I was going to use those handlebars on my Onyx. I'm going to sell that 1st build now. I was looking at Handlebars on Ebay last night and I saw all kind of measurments. Do you have any idea what size the handlebars need to be where it connects ? I know the ends need to be 7/8 ? Right ?

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY

Wats up Quietriot, I ended cancelling the order for the Universal Mount that you sent me the info on. Im going to try using the CNC Universal Mount that Kingmotorbikes is sending me with the kit and see how that works out.

hmbab

Jun 25, 2016
California
Hello. I'm about to create one of these monsters. I need to know what sprocket adapter size? Everything is on order, so I don't have the bike to measure the rear hub size. Thanks in advance.

hmbab

Jun 25, 2016
California
Got it done.

The 1.5" hub adapter is the size needed. They sent my a 40T by mistake, it's fast!
Here's the rolling beast, I'm breaking her in now.

hmbab

Jun 25, 2016
California
It's not a bad ride at all. The pedal geometry feels a little strange, but that could just be me. The bars are not exactly what I wanted, but work. These feel a little narrow, they might be more for an old 3 speed schwinn. The only real downside to the bike is stopping power. The really big 29" wheels don't want to stop spinning, fast!

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Yeah I had the same problem I added 99mm tektro caliper brakes. Fit well but I had to get a 22mm recessed brake caliper nut to mount the rear one. other than that just had to drill a hole across from the rear fender mount hole. still need to sand the powder coat off the wheels but it stops fine for now.

hmbab

Jun 25, 2016
California
So that bottom hole will work? I thought about trying, but thought it had another purpose (fender) and might just not work...

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
I did have to drill it out bigger but so far its working great. I mounted mine on the underside. If you look up the Genesis Astra they have a caliper brake mounted on the top side. Im assuming it uses the same hole.

Edit: nevermind I think those are cantilever brakes.

Last edited:

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
I will try to get you some pictures of mine tonight after work. Ive read on the forums here that sanding the paint off with 400 grit? works I think. I haven't removed any paint yet its just rubbing on the powder coat. I was going to try masking off the areas I don't want stripped and try applying aircraft paint stripper. Then touch it up with 600 grit.

Edit: I can also get the measurement to the center of the top hole I drilled so you dont mess up yours like I did if you would like.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Do you guys feel that you ride uncomfortably up towards the front of the bike with the Onex ? My Schwinn Swindler felt like i was riding towards the rear of the bike. Dont get me wrong I love my Onex ! I wonder if a laid back seat/bar would help ? How do you guys feel about your build ? (Genesis Onex Builders )

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Do you guys feel that you ride uncomfortably up towards the front of the bike with the Onex ? My Schwinn Swindler felt like i was riding towards the rear of the bike. Dont get me wrong I love my Onex ! I wonder if a laid back seat/bar would help ? How do you guys feel about your build ? (Genesis Onex Builders )
Well, Idk if your tired of me replying to you haha. but yes I didn't like the way you sit on the stock Onyx When I replaced the handlebar stem with a shorter one it felt much better to me. The stock one just moves the bars out so far to the front of the bike. Not having that little bit of leverage for controlling the front wheel took a few minutes to get used to though.

If you put a lay back seat post on wouldn't that make it feel like your leaning forward more?