Gear ratio, mph, fuel economy, and speed help?

GoldenMotor.com

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
SO HERE IS THE SPECS.

26:1 ratio maximum operation speed by manual 6300 RPM, fuel tank capacity 10 US OZ and I want to travel at 30mph rate.

What's the break down as these calculators had me confused last night.

For about $101 is what it cost for me to operate a month @ a rate pf $5.00 a gallon.

Says that it should cost me about 620 bucks a year for work. On a rate of 4.3 miles a day.

I would like a axcurate calculation from a few people yo be sure.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not sure the calc would be accurate anyway

mileage was bothering me one day, so I made 2 runs over the same 16mile route

1st time running aggressively after stop lights & signs to get up to speed, and WOT to get up hills at about 25-30mph - 2nd time going more gently got almost 1/3 the fuel usage (uphill seems to be the worst part)

I don't know any calc that would factor in that great a deviation.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
not sure the calc would be accurate anyway

mileage was bothering me one day, so I made 2 runs over the same 16mile route

1st time running aggressively after stop lights & signs to get up to speed, and WOT to get up hills at about 25-30mph - 2nd time going more gently got almost 1/3 the fuel usage (uphill seems to be the worst part)

I don't know any calc that would factor in that great a deviation.[/

QUOTE] Sounds like a 2 inch roller, i experiance slipping after hot

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I suspect it is more a power to weight thing since I did that with chain drive. Small motors can push all that weight, but there seems a greater difference from cars & motorcycles as the work load rises

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
I suspect it is more a power to weight thing since I did that with chain drive. Small motors can push all that weight, but there seems a greater difference from cars & motorcycles as the work load rises
Limitations I do not care so much about mainly just the aspect of hitting that 25 off the line. Even with pedal assist I should be able to turn out 25 under 2. Minites.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Cant help with the fuel economy, but speed calcs are not a problem If you are using 6300 rpm as a standard then a 2" roller would deliver around 37mph. Your engine will never practically pull a 2". A 1.5" at the same rpm will deliver around 28mph. its doable but will be kinda doggy and wont climb well. Probably a 1.375" is a good compromise. Yields 25mph and should provide a more usable amount of power. A 1.25 gets 23mph and should have good power. In reality the engine should spin 7k or better with out issues.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Cant help with the fuel economy, but speed calcs are not a problem If you are using 6300 rpm as a standard then a 2" roller would deliver around 37mph. Your engine will never practically pull a 2". A 1.5" at the same rpm will deliver around 28mph. its doable but will be kinda doggy and wont climb well. Probably a 1.375" is a good compromise. Yields 25mph and should provide a more usable amount of power. A 1.25 gets 23mph and should have good power. In reality the engine should spin 7k or better with out issues.

Well I think between the three options answer 2 for 28mph is fine, I walk up the hill so I can slop down to work. Another logical one is the 1.375 roller. I may want two different rollers, I believe the one on order is a 1 inch roller standard peg my mannual says rpm 6,300 "+" rpm so I am ball parking.

I also need to increase roller pressure and reduce/increase tire pressure.

by 10% max. Right now I get around 62mpg off a 4.3mile trip on an10 oz tank rolling at a nice 20-25 mph on dry days, on wet since I am running a socket drive I get 10-21 mph off of a slick roller and electrical tape. Lol

I run e tape gentially mainly on wet/dry days, but recently I've been running hose drive which allows me to stay open to about half throttle before slippage occurs. In previous experiments I ran the little plastic tubes off of jumper cable handpes which in the long run burn through or slip off.

Oh and by the way I had a laugh at the gas station, I went in to ask how much would it be to get a 0.25 gallons of gas and the lady was stumped but dead on accurate at 75 cents to fill my 32 oz. mixed it with 2 dollar a/z 2 stroke oil what made it so funny is I keep getting change back off a dollar haha.

New signiture "That's right I like my bike bbw yeah that's right big bolens working hard without sucking me dry and spend the same on lunch with me too."

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If you are going to tape a roller use the old fashion friction cloth tape also used as sports tape like on hockey sticks, Wrap it in several layers in the direction that keeps it wrapped under operation. The adhesive cooks it on pretty well from the heat of operation. It will eventually wear so just add another layer when it does. You can actually build the roller in a form with more tape to the outside to conform to the tires profile.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
If you are going to tape a roller use the old fashion friction cloth tape also used as sports tape like on hockey sticks, Wrap it in several layers in the direction that keeps it wrapped under operation. The adhesive cooks it on pretty well from the heat of operation. It will eventually wear so just add another layer when it does. You can actually build the roller in a form with more tape to the outside to conform to the tires profile.
Good idea!! Ill make it wider on the sides outsides that way, it will resemble a* v belt pully wheel liky I cannot find one my shift size easily. Cause i would roll that in tape and creat a full area surface for the tire to meet. I am waiting on to find a truer or the wheel* guy eho quoted me 10. Since my wheels slighly off in two* or either one area. It should be good once the wheels true and have a higher tensioned spring installed.