motor mount bolts

GoldenMotor.com

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
stock china girl, about 110 miles and rear motor screws keep coming out and I lose them. I thought of something like Loctite but if it busts inside at some point I don't want to be in that mess, and ideas? thanks.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Loctite is a necessary evil. however if you don't want to deal with Loctite and if your bolts are through bolts which have nuts and washers with them you may consider using a finer thread bolt with a nylon lock nut and a lock washer. While they suck to put on and take off however they will not likely back off from vibration unless you remove them too much and wear out the nut . you can also get them in 316 stainless steel but if you do, use a little anti-seize to prevent from the nut from becoming a permanently seized to the bolt.
Also as with any bike especially a bike with a motor that adds vibrations to the bike always check every fastener frequently as part of a preflight inspection.
when I was young my brother not only didn't do this he left off the safety tabs on his front wheel and didn't find out until he pulled a wheelie that his front axle nuts had came loose. that was so funny he was screaming the whole time trying to ride the longest wheelie of his life with no front wheel. of course he was my older brother that picked on me often so that made it even better.
laff

Here is a link to the type of Lock nut that I am talking about.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_lock_nuts_nylon_insert_Stainless_steel_316.aspx

here is more information on this type of fastener including torque specs

http://www.nylok.com/nylok-basics

if you have threads in your motor and have to use a normal flange bolt just make sure the threads on the bolt and motor are clean and use a quality bolt of the correct length and thread, make sure to use a good quality lock washer with a bolt that has a flange that will engage the lock washer properly if possible . and always use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts obtaining the specs from the motor manufacture. if you must use Loctite you can remove using heat from a source like a pin point pocket torch but remove this way may alter the temper of the bolt requiring replacement as the bolt may become too brittle.

Example of the Flange bolt that I am mentioning

http://www.ap-magazine.com/fastener-product/Detail_95941_Metric-Hex-Flange-Bolt-.html

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I suspect something is wrong with your front mount. Many folks don't measure out the front mount properly so that it doesn't try to pull the rear mount forward when it is tightened.

If your front is OK, though, you may not be seating your studs enough to hold. If you are double-nutting them to get them in tight, you may also want to deform the threads on the end just a tiny bit before putting them in.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
stock china girl, about 110 miles and rear motor screws keep coming out and I lose them. I thought of something like Loctite but if it busts inside at some point I don't want to be in that mess, and ideas? thanks.
Just some tips...

1. Is the back curved block meeting the seat post at a flush 90 degree angle?
If not make it so because all the movement force of travel is back against your seat post and if does not hit square to the seat post it will move and loosen.

2. Even when you think you have everything tight can you hold your top bar with one hand and your cylinder head with the other hand and try AS HARD AS YOU CAN to make the engine move, does it?
If so that is failure so redo your front mount too.

If all of that is good and your rear mount studs still keep coming loose pull them out and use good bolts instead.

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
kc

after my front motor mount broke I went and bought bolts for all 4 holes. and its my back mount. im 240ish and even with that back one gone I cant move the head at all, I have 3 on there now when I get home ill have to take it apart. if my phone wasn't junk id post picks