Getting a compression gauge reading of zero

GoldenMotor.com

gvan92

Nov 5, 2013
Gainesville, FL
Hi all, I bought a used 66cc motor and am having trouble starting it. I am a newbie but have been extensively reading on forums such as these. I think I have a major air leak and that is why I am getting a pressure reading of zero when I use a compression gauge. How do I check where the air leak is coming from? I commonly see that other people have problems where the carburetor attaches to the intake, engine head gaskets, the bore and rings, and also crankshaft. How do I know where the problem is? I bought Permatex high temp red RTV silicone gasket maker to seal it up but I don't know exactly what to seal up. Also, I never worked with Permatex or any kind of sealant so any advice would be much appreciated! I been working on my bike for weeks now and I really really reallyyy want it to start up! Thanks again in advance!

-Greg V

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
do a little research on leak down testing,you may need an air compressor to do the test,my small engine kit at work has plates for intake and exhaust and a small hand pump.

the compression tester should be telling you something isnt right,like blown head gasket or piston for example.either way you need to remove cylinder head.
there are videos on youtube on the complete teardown of theses small engines.
keep reading,you will find what you need.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
normal for these is between 110lb & 170lb cold compression (there are major diffs between motor designs)

are you holding throttle open (or removing carb & muffler) and pedaling fast enough to pump up your guage?

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
normal for these is between 110lb & 170lb cold compression (there are major diffs between motor designs)

are you holding throttle open (or removing carb & muffler) and pedaling fast enough to pump up your guage?
2-stroke piston-port have dynamic compression, higher RPM's produce higher compression because there's less time for the air to escape, your compression will change based on your RPM, port timing, intake (this includes air pressure, forced induction [if any], port timing, intake length, intake [carb throat and manifold] size + any restrictions), deck height, squish band/combustion chamber shape and size, any leaks, etc. removing your exhaust or intake could skew your results if you're trying to read compression that way. The muffler will add restriction, boosting compression, and removing the intake removes restriction, again boosting compression.

However unless you're cranking it by hand, you should get at least 60 PSI. 0 says there's a leak somewhere, most likely head gasket (which isn't uncommon at all, our gaskets are virtually garbage). Lapping the head (sanding it down smooth and even) will help. To be honest I'm not using a gasket of any sort after lapping (I didnt even use glass, just circular patterns on sandpaper on a tabletop). However I have used permetex copper as a head gasket, though its not recommended, once you torque down the bolts it gets squished out and some gets into the combustion chamber. However if you want to know, I ran a single bead around the whole gasket mating surface, as well as the bolts (to seal them off from the chamber). With my old setup, using an 18v B&D drill from walmart, using a 14mm socket & adapter turning the magneto bolt to turn the crank I read 60 psi last time I checked. However I havent tested since I got reeds, Puch Hi and re-did the cylinder ports... only because my roommate somehow left my compression gauge under the leg of my chair and I didnt notice when I sat in it.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
absolute zero compression is so strange that it makes me wonder if your clutch is slipping so much that the motor isn't turning