Need help on electrical and kill switch hookup

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
So I've moved houses and somewhere along the way lost my manual and need your guys's help on hooking up the electrical components since that's the area where I'm the weakest at. zpt.

Here's a pic of the wires. I assume the blue and black wires coming out of the magneto case on the engine go the the blue and black wires on the coil (blue to blue and black to black...seems logical). But what bout the white wire? I've read on here that some of you cut it off and don't even use it.

And finally there's the yellow and black wires from the kill switch (seen in the bottom right hand corner of the image). Where do those go? Or should I just forgo the factory kill switch as some of you have and rig up a different arrangement?

A diagram of the wiring would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
blue to blue, black to black, and one kill wire to each (don't matter which)

cut, and tape the white wire so it doesn't touch anything

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So something like this should work?
That will work just fine. The kill switch is a simple normally open momentary switch. When you depress the button it puts the two wires from it together. That's why the wire colors from the kill switch aren't significant. I don't know why the factories make them different colors. It just confuses people.
Your diagram is correct.
Good luck.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Even easier, take the yellow wire from the kill switch and connect it to the white wire.

That way you won't have your precious primary voltage connected to a 10 cent switch.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Even easier, take the yellow wire from the kill switch and connect it to the white wire.

That way you won't have your precious primary voltage connected to a 10 cent switch.
There is a good reason EVERYONE says to cap off the white wire. IT is a direct SHORT to the coil. AND using it for the kill switch will shorten coil life. If you short out the coil, SURE it will kill the engine.Interupting the power from the CDI is a much better way to hook up the kill switch. NEVER use the white wire for anything......IF you dont trust the 10 cent chinese switch, buy a better switch.
I've said this before, LOTS, LISTEN TO 2door!!!!! he almost always agrees with me which almost always makes him right. LOL.
fatdaddy.
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
There are 2 coils in the stator.

1) The main coil that is wound with many turns of very fine (hair guage) wire.
2) A low volt coil that is wound with fewer turns of much heavier guage wire.

These coils have a common ground (the black wire)

The switch puts a short circuit on either coil when activated.

So, you can short the main coil and kill the primary spark voltage directly or you can short the auxilliary coil which kills the flux in the core and kills the primary voltage indirectly. Either way you short a coil.

If you connect the low volt coil to the kill switch all the switch gets is ~9 volts. If you go to the main coil the switch is getting ~400 volts and any water, salt and corrosion in there will bleed your primary spark voltage down.

You can connect either way and the switch will kill the engine.

I prefer the indirect method.