80cc wont accelerate!

GoldenMotor.com

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
So after adjusting my engine mounts a bit since the engine had shifted to the left and was causing my chain to pop I started it up, it was a bit shakey but i figured that was due to changing out the stock 415 chain to a 41 chain thinking it just needed to stretch a bit. It ran fine at low rpm's but when i started accelerating it just made a fast whirring noise as if the flower nut was spinning freely, it accelerated a bit but wouldn't get going the way it would when i first started riding it. Like i said besides it running fairly rough it will put along at 5-10mph, any suggestions will help!
And if it makes a difference I've only put about 40 miles on the engine at most:-||

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Did you get the clutch cable pulled tighter or kinked when you were messing with it? It sounds like the clutch is slipping. If the engine revs but the bike goes nowhere it is just the clutch adjustment.
fatdaddy.

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Yeah thats what I was thinking and it does feel as if the clutch is slipping. The only thing I did to it as far as touching the clutch was tighten the lever roller just a bit, I will tinker with it and let you know if that worked, Thanks!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Sometimes "just a bit" is too much. Let me know how it works out for you.
fatdaddy.

DUDE!!! Yer keeping us in suspence, Was that it?

Last edited:

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
So I ended up taking apart the clutch and cleaned the pads but it still had the same problem, ended up taking the baffle out of the muffler since I dented it a bit and it perked right up and is running great now just much louder, will having no backpressure affect the engine in a bad way?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
So I ended up taking apart the clutch and cleaned the pads but it still had the same problem, ended up taking the baffle out of the muffler since I dented it a bit and it perked right up and is running great now just much louder, will having no backpressure affect the engine in a bad way?
Even with the baffle out there is still some back pressure to the engine. There is a honeycomb baffle in there that helps create back pressure. I run a chopped stock pipe on mine and am hitting 35mph with everything I have on it and my 200lb arse. You can buy better exhaust pipes that will keep it a little more quite. Or just drill some holes in the baffle tube for better flow. The baffle, even drilled out some, will keep the noise down better than a stock pipe with no baffle. I've even cut EVERYTHING off the baffle leaving only the cap. Just the cap only will even keep the noise down.
Personally, I keep my bike loud. Loud pipes save lives.
Here's my bike. Yeah, Due for a new pipe.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=48920
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey fatdaddy --

What kind of oil/gas ratio are you using for that fire-breathing dragon?

-r
I go a little heavy with the oil because I run cheap engines and cheap oil. Also the engine itself is running a little rich. I think I got this engine from BGF so I don't take chances with the cheap crap. All the oil it will take is kinda what I do. So, 3 1/2 or 4oz per gallon. Then, My shorty pipe is starting to burn out and glow red, so it sets any unburned fuel on fire. Still, Pretty cool, huh?
fatdaddy.

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Well she started choking up again so I removed 2 of the honeycomb baffles and it's running great now!
Only problem is my pedal clearance is now an issue again unless I run the pipe mounted upside down, I don't mind the exhaust fumes in my face since I'm usually going fast enough to sweep them down to my side for the most part but I'm sure it's not good for the engine to literally be gargling oil so I'm going to hold off on riding until I can get a better exhaust this week, I'm thinking of getting the poo poo pipe or maybe an exhaust with an expansion chamber, I do enjoy my bike being a bit loud but not louder than a harley haha
Have you had any experience with the p3? (no longer calling it poo poo pipe due to it leading to awkward conversations) or an exhaust with an expansion chamber?
Nice dragon btw! Have those flames ever singed your shoes? It looks like the pedal was heating up but I couldn't really tell

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah Fang, I gotta remember to keep my foot out of the way. It would look pretty strange riding with my foot on fire.
If the pipe is only hitting a little, Then find someplace solid to hook the pipe into and bend it some. If it's hitting the muffler part only you can bend it a lot before the weld breaks,..... USUALLY.
I've had to bend many, many pipes, and as long as it's only 1/2 inch or so you should be OK.
fatdaddy.

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
I got a stock pipe from craigslist, gave it the ol heat treatment and wham bam bent it a bit. When mounting it I realized it wasn't nearly enough of a bend so I mounted it upside down and took it our for a spin. It rattled loose while riding so I pedaled home tightened it and used the muffler clamp the kit provided. The muffler held on great after putting the clamp on, until the weld broke where it meets the down pipe attached to the engine -_-
The head studs are still good but I pretty much just spent $20 on nothing although after seeing quite a bit of rust inside the muffler im starting to doubt they where in fact new like the ad had suggested. I think I'm going to repair the stock one and mod the original I already hollowed out to what I desire (expansion chamber and extended to the rear of the bike)
Is there anything like porting or upgraded jets that I will need If I decide to go with the expansion chamber?
I really enjoyed my bike being loud but not THAT loud, I listen to music at an obnoxiously loud level and this even hurts my ears! It might have something to do with the exhaust being up side down pointed directly at them laff

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Best link for all the info you need I could find, On the "other" site.
*****************************/motorbike/index.html
fatdaddy.
Looks like they don't let you post links from the "other" site.
Just look up Jaguar on motoredbikes.com.

Last edited: