Everyone Pitch In and Let's Narrow It Down To Good Engines

GoldenMotor.com

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
There are so many different makes of the same engine. Sometimes the factory does a good job for the price they go for and the motors run for 1000's of miles. Some factories treat the engines like engine-shaped crap and they are not good motors at all. It really does get confusing.

It all comes down to one question: Which engine should I buy?

Some engines are good for the money, some are total crap and last for no time at all.

Lets all work together to find the good engines- do a favor and write a quick review on your motor with this following info-

1. Give us the engine name: ex: Grubee gt5, BGF RB-80, Starfire 48cc, ect...
Where was is bought and around what time?

2. How does the engine run- good or bad? Did it die early?

3. How was the engine itself and the parts- none are fantastic, but was it OK construction?

4. Would you buy this engine again, or recommend it?

If everybody pitches in, we can get a list of good motors and the bad.
This would be very useful.

Thanks
-Zane S

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The ever elusive magic motor thread.........

A) None of the above

B) All of the above

C) Grubee Starfire GT4 ( you can't buy them anymore )

D) Buying a motor is a crap shoot so buy from a dealer who stands behind their crap.

E) There really are no good or bad motors, just good mechanics and bad mechanics.

F) This question has been asked too many times already and will probably be locked after
degenerating into a confusing, indecisive conflict of way too many opinions.

Good Luck!

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
1. Flaming Horse 80cc (66cc) from EngineOnlineShop, sku: FHB80

2. Runs perfectly, no problems so far.

3. The engine was actually perfect when I got it (I have damaged it a bit since then :D but it holds up quite well). I am speaking about the engine itself, not the hardware. I replace all the hardware on each of the kits I get, so I can't say anything good or bad about the stock hardware (although its probably poor, low grade hardware like in all the kits).

4. I recommend this engine to everyone I know, and I am already buying more. The owner's customer service is amazing. The other day, I ordered a large frame U adapter. It didn't arrive on time (1 day late), so the company owner sent me another one and didn't charge me for either.

The reason we can't find the best engines is because they quality of the engines vary batch to batch, and even engine to engine in each batch. I will try to help out regardless.

Good luck with your quest!
-Christopher

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I have the Grubee Skyhawk GT5 (and GT5-a). Never had an issue other than the small bevel gear screw stripping off, a minor air leak (who hasnt?) and somehow the small gear broke in half. Some people hate them, I havent had an issue that wasn't caused by me, this is the 3rd one, I dont plan on buying another one (I found a cheaper vendor) but if I had to I'd buy again.

However as others said, it's not really about the motor name/brand, in essense they're all the same (unless you know which factory yours comes from). It's the sellers, to my knowledge they generally get the motors from one particular factory, which can produce better or worse motors than the next, and vary day by day. But if the seller is willing to stand behind their product, or even modify it before sale, then you will find you'll have a better time with them.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Like motorized bicycle Racing said they are all a chinese crap shoot, at
least the 2 strokes are. Find an engine you like and master it, so it doesn't master you.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Engine Online Shop has their own factory in China, and the customer support guy said that because of this they can manage the quality of each kit better.

carroll6

May 21, 2013
Kansas City
Christopher-
1. was the kit easy to assemble? (I am a Noob)
2. did it come with proper frame mount?
3. was the twist throttle of decent quality?
4. Should I buy the 415 chain?
5. I am hefty rider.. I weigh 275lbs.
6. Wonder what the difference is between the "Clover" and the "Flaming Horse" engines?
7. Did you replace any parts with better ones? Such as Spark plug/wire, gas line?
8. By "Hardware" you mean nuts, bolts, and washers?
9. I want to build up a Standard Mountain Bike..the mens kind..with top bar.
10. I emailed EnginesOnline and asked the same questions.

Last edited: