First post here.

GoldenMotor.com

wolfter

May 11, 2012
Buckeye Lake, OH
I look forward to interacting with all of you and am hoping you can help resolve issues with my new motorized bike. An older buddy of mine bought it last summer and could never get it running correctly so he sold it to me. This bike isn't even really broken in yet.

As soon as this thing starts, it revs up full throttle to the point where it sounds like it'll blow up. I noticed one thread where someone suggested looking under the breather to see if the barrel rises and lowers. Mine doesn't. I don't know what yeahoos he might have had look at this bike but am needing a starting point. I did check to see if the needle valve and spring assembly were correctly installed and they are.

I think I eliminated the hand throttle by manualling adjusting the cable where it feeds into the carberator.

The cable almost seems too long also.

Thanks in advance all
Wolfie

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think maybe the slide is in backwards, that will cause the problem you seem to be having.
If it's in backwards, it will only go part way down, and that will make her rev waaay up. Just take off the top of the carb and turn the slide around 180 degrees.

Let us know if that helps.

Welcome to THE BEST motorized bike forum in the universe!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Or...if the slide goes ALL the way down, you may have an air leak. Check for it by covering the opening of the carb to see if that will stall it, then check for leaks around the carb to intake and intake to cylinder joints with some wd40, water spray, or carb cleaner. Don't use ether.

wolfter

May 11, 2012
Buckeye Lake, OH
I discovered the problem. After taking the carb apart, I examined the barrel and there was a small nick on it that was preventing it from sliding. I filed it down and now this thing runs perfectly.

I'm already becoming addicted to riding this thing. such fun!

Wolfie

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
the small nick means IT WAS BACKWARDS!!! the nick goes on the other side of the slide to guide it....hahaha and for other reasons....

wolfter

May 11, 2012
Buckeye Lake, OH
the small nick means IT WAS BACKWARDS!!! the nick goes on the other side of the slide to guide it....hahaha and for other reasons....
I recognize the difference between a tool mark and a guide. It was some sort of small birr, almost as if someone used pliers on it. But thanks for your input, I filed it in the appropriate place.

wolfter

May 11, 2012
Buckeye Lake, OH
I've not been around much because of a regular bicycle ride back in September. I'm an avid rider and was almost home from a 20 mile ride when I forced off the road and down a steep enbankment. Broken leg and torn ligaments. What a horrid recovery. :(

Anyways, I've decided to get my motorized bike out since it's not been ran since September. I managed to get it started (with some difficulty) and rode for about 2 miles and it stopped. Had to call for a ride to haul it home as my leg wasn't able to pedal it.

I can not figure out what in the heck is going on. It almost acts like it's not firing. I've checked the continuity/OHM of each component and they all check fine. Checked the spark plug end and got an acceptable reading. Replaced the plugs and still nothing.

Disconnected the kill switch and still nothing. Decided to drain the tank the check the carb. Everything looks functional there. I've always known that if it doesn't attempt fire, it's usually spark or fuel which I think I've done. I did try putting the plug (connected to the wire) against the engine and see if there was spark. I didn't notice. Not sure if it's like in a vehicle where it's quite obvious.

I've been so disgusted that I'm about ready to pitch this entire project. This unit is only a year old and probably has about 4 hours on it.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I've scoured these forums and have tried all the other suggestions.

Thanks!
Greg

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the spark is too hard to see clearly, then hold the plug in your hand with your hand against the motor while you roll it forward - you'll feel it if the spark is there.

If it is there, then you might need a new plug, as sometimes a fouled spark plug will leak the spark up the side of the insulator instead of across the gap.

If it is not there, check your plug wire & plug cap.

wolfter

May 11, 2012
Buckeye Lake, OH
I did put in a new plug along with replacing the spark plug wire end and boot. I've noticed several people talking about replacing the wire. Isn't that connected inside of the CDI module? Thanks for responding.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
older CDI it just unscrewed - some newer ones have to be dug out with a small tool

EDIT: did you remember to get a zero resistance plug cap?

Last edited:

wolfter

May 11, 2012
Buckeye Lake, OH
Ok, I held the plug against the engine block and it is not sparking. I wasn't shocked. I also checked it again at night in the garage (in the dark) and am sure there's no spark. The module itself checked ok. I see no way possible to replace the wire as I can not "dig" it out. A sharp knife will barely stratch the hard material.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
there is a plastic shoulder sticking up out of the CDI that the wire screws into - you don't want to try to remove that, just get the rubber wire sheath out of it

wolfter

May 11, 2012
Buckeye Lake, OH
It was quite easily unscrewed. thank you. Is there a way to actually test the cdi module? I have continuity across the wires but it's still not producing spark. I'm not sure what's inside the module itself but continuity to me would indicate it's ok.

I really appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this.

wolfter

May 11, 2012
Buckeye Lake, OH
So even with the new wire and sparkplug, I still didn't get shocked when holding on it the end of it next to the frame while engaging the engine. Obviously a spark issue but am at a loss.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
did you check the blue wire of the magneto stator? it should read 320-360ohms on a 2k scale to ground