Clutch Stuck in engaged position

GoldenMotor.com

GDCOX

Dec 13, 2009
florida
Thanks guys I found the clutch way out of adjustment. The clutch cable keeper was screwed so far down it was rubbing the clutch shaft. I think that is why an individual sold the kit to me after he tried to install it for $60. Looks like every thing else is great.
Thanks again,
GCCOXdance1

mbender16

Dec 13, 2009
Indiana
I have same problem , clutch cable is not attached , I have tap on both the rod on left side of engine and have taken off the clutch cover and taped on the flower nut and it still is engaged < I would think that the clutch should move in toward the engine when the clutch is not engage . Should my next step be to take off the flower nut on the clutch ?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No, smack the pin from the sprocket side with a hammer a few times then put the bike together. You can't push the pin very easily, and it springs back, so even if you hit it with a hammer, you aren't going to make much progress.

mbender16

Dec 13, 2009
Indiana
Is there suppose to be a ball bearing in front of the clutch pin ? just checking , because when I took the cover over the clutch lever , I just had a shaft that ran down with a flat place on the shaft that engages the clutch pin.

Last edited:

mbender16

Dec 13, 2009
Indiana
Ooops , I took the clutch lever plate off trying to get the clutch unstuck , the clutch lever is a approx 3 inch long rod with a curved side and a flat side at its bottom , when replacing the plate which side goes back facing the clutch rod that runs over to the clutch ??

RawRawRaw

Mar 9, 2013
Los Angeles
I felt my clutch slip a bit, and the bike felt like it wasn't getting enough power after that.

Fearing the clutch got partially engaged, I took off the clutch cover and see this only this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2h7eiil3r0lakl/20130312_135537.jpg?m

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix3ffioqagovwfi/20130312_135531.jpg
After taking the cover off and puttingit back on it doesn't seem the shaft that moves with the cable is even touching the rod, and it's 'stuck' always in gear.
I tried hammering the nut a bit, no avail.

Tips?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
your pic doesn't show the metal rod that should be sticking out of the hole in the shaft (note that there should also be an 8mm ball in there too) - without that rod, you have nothing to push against

searching the forum should get you a pic or diagram of what's needed

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
it usually rolls under your workbench to the most inaccessible spot - same with the little ball

RawRawRaw

Mar 9, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm going to call the left side is the side with the clutch and chain.

After dripping some oil in the hole of the shaft, and taking the cover off the right side, and giving it a few knocks, i still couldnt get the inner part free.

I think the inner shaft and the ball are stuck inside somehow.

Again, the clutch was working, i eased into it, and after doing that once my acceleration performance went down, and i had to peddle to pick up speed, but once i got to speed it would stay there.

I took the clutch cover off, and did not see a inner shaft and ball shoot out. Instead, I see the whole in outer shaft and nothing for the clutch to push in, but it was working before I opened it.

I took the motor off the frame, and tried dismantelling it (splitting the casing) I almost got all screws off, but some are just on too tight, and the screw top is getting twisted through.

I'm kind of stuck. How do I get the whole shaft out for the clutch to work?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you look closely at the pics in norman's guide, you'll see that there is no room for them to slip inside - they had to fall outside

once you have the clutch off, you should be able to drive that shaft out with a plastic mallet without splitting the cases

to split the cases, you'll need a hand impact driver to loosen the screws

Attachments

cakes_bikie

Feb 16, 2020
How are you trying to push that pin in? You won't be able to do it with your hand or fingers. The clutch actuator is supposed to do that. The actuator is the cam inside the clutch actuator cover, left side. Are you sure you have the clutch cable adjusted correctly? It should have little to no slack where it is attached to the clutch actuator arm on the engine. If this is a new engine then the clutch might be stuck from the factory. Try striking that pin with a good blow from a plastic headed hammer. Don't beat it to death just give it a good solid hit and see if it frees up the stuck clutch friction pads. Get back to us if these things don't help.
Tom
How are you trying to push that pin in? You won't be able to do it with your hand or fingers. The clutch actuator is supposed to do that. The actuator is the cam inside the clutch actuator cover, left side. Are you sure you have the clutch cable adjusted correctly? It should have little to no slack where it is attached to the clutch actuator arm on the engine. If this is a new engine then the clutch might be stuck from the factory. Try striking that pin with a good blow from a plastic headed hammer. Don't beat it to death just give it a good solid hit and see if it frees up the stuck clutch friction pads. Get back to us if these things don't help.
Tom
Hi, I have a similar problem l but I'm new to this stuff. I'll quickly get to the point. . . So, I was riding my newly built bike (that I've ridden around 1 and a 1/3 tanks) and I stopped the engine to go to the bathroom. When I returned and tried to start the motor by pedalling first by pulling in the clutch lever, there was hardly any tention on the clutch and the back tyre did not spin freely. I don't know why, and I had a really hard time starting the motor since the clutch wasn't working and the tyre didn't spin freely. (Btw, when I pull the clutch lever in, the clutch arm moves like it is supposed to just without any tention like it is supposed to have.) When I got home, I disconnected the clutch cable from the clutch arm and tried to move it to see if the clutch is hitting against that pin thing (I'm new to this) but the clutch arm just moved freely all the way in without hitting the small rod inside of the engine. I've never had this problem so I've got no idea what to do, please help!