Cast iron-lined cylinder available for Grubeesque 2-stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

JohnnyCrash

Jun 28, 2012
Earth
Howzitgoin' eh!

Newbie here... I got 2 of these engines and a pile of spare bits for 100 bux, for a rebuild, one good engine and one scrap. The good engine was dismantled, cleaned, fiddled with, and is now reassembled and I'm tidying up the loose ends now to install it in my Sekine 26" bike.

It's a 66cc 2-smoky, it appears to be a Grubee or similar mill and is probably rather old since it has the axial spark plug head, as opposed to the newer angled-plug head, but has very little mileage on it judging by the condition of the cylinder, rings & piston.

The cylinder appears to have Schnuerle (sp?) porting, and is the usual chrome-lined job, with the usual fragility problems. It also has one-piece steel flywheels on the crankshaft, and roller bearings on both ends of the connecting rod. It has an NTTC carburetor, which I believe is referred to as the 'NT'.

There were no stickers on the little mill when I got it.

My questions: Can anyone identify this engine and tell me anything about it such as expected power, lifespan, availability of spares etc.

And more importantly, are there other cylinders I can use when this one wears out? Are there 66 or 48/49/50 cc cylinders I can get with cast iron linings instead of the usual chrome plating? Chrome plated cylinders work well when made to high quality standards, and I'm pretty sure these little mills are at the lower end of the quality spectrum :) Although my crankshaft/conrod looks very nicely made.

I just figured in the future, I'd like to have a cast iron bore cylinder if it's available and will fit the transfer port base shape of the crankcase, since all of these China Girl crankcases look pretty much the same from the outside.

Any ideas, and thanks :)

Ian

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
not sure what brand it is, but i don't think it's a grubee based on the head studs and the casting on the case for the transfers.

there is no steel sleeved jug available. i looked into getting one sleeved by a local place out here (Q&E machining) and they told me $350 minimum.

that's just not worth it.

it's cheaper if you find someone to sleeve it and you dremel out the ports yourself, but i still haven't got one done.

new jugs are 15 bucks, so i'll just keep destroying the crappy chromed ones and add them to my pile...

JohnnyCrash

Jun 28, 2012
Earth
Bairdco,

Thanks for the reply :) I'm a machinist and can resleeve one myself (I have a trashed cylinder with the chrome peeling off), but was wondering if I could just buy one. I've heard that some of the 50cc and under ones have cylinder liners instead of just straight chrome plating, and wanted to know if I could get one. Here in Canada the websites just sell complete top ends--cylinder, studs, nuts, piston, rings, clips & wrist pin for about 50 bux (plus lots & lots of tax, shipping, and half a year delivery--then you get the wrong @#?!! parts!!!)

Like I said, I can resleeve one myself but it's a huge amount of finicky work because of the angled and wedge-shaped transfer ports (inlet and exhaust are straight, therefore fairly easy).

Peace

Ian

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well Johnny, the tricky thing concerning buying a replacement cylinder and/ or piston is...
There are many different factories in China that make these little jewels of an engine.
For the most part they all look the same on the outside.
They even look mostly the same on the inside too, until you start swapping parts out that is.
The various factories use subtle differences in parts dimensions when it comes to crank throw, connecting rod length, piston pin to piston crown height, piston skirt length, piston pin diameter, piston ring thickness and combustion chamber volume, just to name the most common variances.
When you need replacement parts you need to know who made the engine in order to get the correct replacement parts.
With an unmarked engine (shows how proud they are of their craftsmanship and product quality) you really are taking a chance that the parts may or may not fit.

Here is a list of the factories that Al.Fisherman tediously gathered up and made for us.
I really appreciate all of his effort in creating this list as I previously did not know that there were this many factories all competing in the market. It sorta makes your mind reel in parts replacement terror...

Just look at the ones under the "HT Manufacturers" heading. The other headings refer to other power plant designs.

Engine Manufacture List

Maby... Just perhaps... The idea of creating a far more durable cast iron sleeve for your cylinder might sound like a worthwhile endeavor?
I for one would love to read a thread of yours concerning this, especially considering that you obviously are knowledgeable around 2-stroke engines and have machinists skills.

Just an idea of mine... :)

JohnnyCrash

Jun 28, 2012
Earth
Well Johnny, the tricky thing concerning buying a replacement cylinder and/ or piston is...
There are many different factories in China that make these little jewels of an engine.
Thanks GearNut, I've noticed that the brand new crankshaft (pinion) gear & clutch gear on my engine don't line up very well, the pinion gear is too far outboard and doesn't center on the face of the clutch gear. Hardly optimal. I'd need to remachine the taper in the gear which is not only a bit of a pain in the azz, but I can't get a good handle on the taper angle itself--there's not much to measure. I suppose I could try clocking it up with an indicator and adjusting the compound slide, but I'd have to hold the gear itself by the teeth--tricky to do reasonably well.

There appear to be many more makers of these little powerplants than I assumed! Thanks for the list! Too bad the engine itself has no manufacturer's mark on it anywhere! I guess it'll be fun for a while, then I'll be better off coming up with a generic mount and gearbox/clutch arrangement so I can install whatever engine(s) I can conveniently obtain.

Thanks!

Ian

JohnnyCrash

Jun 28, 2012
Earth
>>>>
That said, they can be fun, and even sometimes reliable. But don't count on it. The only surefire thing you gain from messing with it is experience.
Aleman,

Having dismantled, cleaned out, filed/Dremel'ed/hammered/retapped/fiddled with the whole thing, if nothing else it's a cheap course in small engine repair/overhauling :)

After all this I could have just bought a new kit. It would have cost the same, mind you, I woudn't have gotten to play with the internals. At least I know what I have, and aside from the misaligned gears, it appears to be in decent shape and of tolerable quality :)

Ian

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thanks GearNut, I've noticed that the brand new crankshaft (pinion) gear & clutch gear on my engine don't line up very well, the pinion gear is too far outboard and doesn't center on the face of the clutch gear. Hardly optimal. I'd need to remachine the taper in the gear which is not only a bit of a pain in the azz, but I can't get a good handle on the taper angle itself--there's not much to measure. I suppose I could try clocking it up with an indicator and adjusting the compound slide, but I'd have to hold the gear itself by the teeth--tricky to do reasonably well.

There appear to be many more makers of these little powerplants than I assumed! Thanks for the list! Too bad the engine itself has no manufacturer's mark on it anywhere! I guess it'll be fun for a while, then I'll be better off coming up with a generic mount and gearbox/clutch arrangement so I can install whatever engine(s) I can conveniently obtain.

Thanks!

Ian
You are welcome!
Could you measure the taper angle on the crankshaft and match it in the gear?

Either way, have fun with it!
Have you read these threads?
Parts that should be replaced before installing the kit
The bearing doctor!!!
Crankshaft balancing and truing (part..1)
Crankshaft truing & balance part dux
40mph speed secrets revealed
hybrid chinese motors and performance tuning

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
JohnnyCrash,

Here's a gentleman with some information on 2 stroker cylinder sleeves. He has a manual on the "how to" and recommends that you call or Email him before paying out the $20.00 to make sure your getting the info you want. Looks like he does some custom porting if you have him install the sleeves. None of this is cheap. He does have some links to sleeve dealers. I am sure the sleeve would have to be custom made.

http://smallenginemachineworks.com/home

Here's a link on Everything2stroke.com on his techniques:
http://www.everything2stroke.com/content/19-how-its-done

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited: