The Perfect Motor Build... Help

GoldenMotor.com

LowLifeChoppers

Sep 7, 2010
Dana Point
Lets just say, I have now been hit by the fubar bug once again with my bike... I have a 66cc Flying horse, which I believe is now dead, due to the fact that the motor will not turn over at all, and all I am doing is cooking my clutch while I try and start it, one of the head studs in the block is stripped and I am over it.... I hate crappy workmanship, but I guess this is truly a love\hate relationship, yet I see places like Rock Solid Engine, who claims to truly go through the engines and fix all of the crappy hardware and bearings, and machines what needs to be machined, and has visited china to find the appropriate manufacturer who makes a decent product to start off with.... So, this begs the question,

If you were to take a 66cc motor off the shelf from a vendor...

A. What motor? I see good things about the Jet 66cc, are they true?

B. What bearings and hardware would need to be replaced?

C. What parts should be taken to a machine shop, and what should be done?

D. I see threads about carbs, CNS, Delorto, Mikuni... Any suggestions and model types, and maybe mods?

E. Is there a Heavy Duty Centrifugal Clutch out there? Or pad replacements suggestions for the stock ones?

Thanks for any help you can give! I will post pics of my bike in a bit, before I have to take her apart, again :(

Tyler

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If you were to take a 66cc motor off the shelf from a vendor...

A. What motor? I see good things about the Jet 66cc, are they true?

I (5) buy all my engines off or Fleabay, They are all about the same Chinese junk. Have had NO major problems

B. What bearings and hardware would need to be replaced?

I have never replaced any bearings so far. As for hardware, read this..
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

C. What parts should be taken to a machine shop, and what should be done?

Nothing needs to be taken to a machine shop, unless you don't have the proper tools.

D. I see threads about carbs, CNS, Delorto, Mikuni... Any suggestions and model types, and maybe mods?

I'm partial to the NT carburetor, simplest to work on or get it running correctly.

E. Is there a Heavy Duty Centrifugal Clutch out there? Or pad replacements suggestions for the stock ones?

Not that I'm aware.

Thanks for any help you can give! I will post pics of my bike in a bit, before I have to take her apart, again :(

Tyler
Take your time and mount the engine correctly.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
People have made their own clutch pads from material they got from McMaster-Carr. I beta tested a set for someone and they make a big difference. Putting a Puch Hi-Compression head on a HT motor and you just about have to have them.

I'm kinda partial to Dellorto carbs. They are extremely well made. A 15 size is what I think would be the best compromise between too small and too large. There have been some that are using a 19 but that's just too big IMHO. They are just so tunable.

Look for Daniel Maia's thread on rebuilding a HT motor. Most of the part numbers needed are in that series(he got my good motor when I sold off my Chinee stuff and went Morini) :)

LowLifeChoppers

Sep 7, 2010
Dana Point
Well, my head was totally warped, I was thinking instead of doing the glass and sandpaper trick, I would get it done properly.... Has anyone had any experence with Rock HArd Motors?

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
if you want quality just buy a morini! :D not everyone wants to fork out that money but if you think about all the brain damage you go through with upgrading.. machining.. down time.. you've easily gone over what the price of a morini would run you. Granted not everyone wants to go that route because you'd have to custom up some motor mounts but that would be the only hurdle you'd have to really jump through.

LowLifeChoppers

Sep 7, 2010
Dana Point
I have to post some pics.... I have custom fab almost everything on this lowrider.... I want to build more than one bike, and if there is a way to "bullet proof" anything that the chinese make, I want to see what I can do rather than paying $600 to $950 for a morini.... I want to get a morini in time, but when I do, I want to put it on one slick ride... The ride I am working on now is more of a Rat-Rod concept :)