Ready to buy my first engine...

GoldenMotor.com

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So, I'm ready to buy my first engine... except I have no idea which one to get. I know I want a 4-stroke, that's pretty much it. I've read through many posts here, but I'm still unsure of which one I should get.

Any suggestions? I want something reliable.

What is the difference, other than price, between the EZM Silent Drive 4 Stroke kit and the Grubee 4G T Belt Drive Engine Kit?

EZM - EZM Silent Drive 4 Stroke kit

Grubee - Grubee 4G T Belt Drive Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit

I was considering a Morini but I don't want to spend that kind of money right now... maybe on the next bike.

Also, the bike I'll be using is a Micargi.

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the info. Harbor Freight says the 99cc isn't certified for California, though.

Also, I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra money for a transmission. I mean its not necessary, right?

I have a couple of new 79 CC motors [CARB approved] still in the boxes if anyone in CA needs one. We purchased them to test the Q-Matic drive, however we only ended up using one of them for the "mock up" and testing. We purchased 3 of them originally and paid $109.00 each plus shipping.

The actual difference is only 17.45 CC between the 79 CC [legal in CA] and the 99 CC [not CARB approved].

The 99 CC is slower out of the box, because the main jet is much smaller than the 79 CC motor. The 99 CC has a .025" main and the 79 CC has a .031". The 99 CC is a slight bit faster on top end if the main jet size is increased [45 MPH with larger main jet and tuned flex pipe exhaust].

You can not run the motor on a bicycle without major ratio changes. As an example.. if the motor has a 10 tooth drive sprocket you would need a 100 tooth rear sprocket to arrive at a 10 X 1 ratio. I would guess there aren't any 100 tooth sprockets made to fit a motorbike, and even if there was one it would be so large it would hit everywhere on the bike frame, and cost a small fortune. The ideal ratio on both the 79 CC and the 99 CC is 11.55 X 1, and could be modified to as low as 10 X 1 and still work [very high top end, poor low end power].

There are other ways to transmit the power to the rear wheel besides the Q-Matic, however the end results are far less, a much wider drive system and most likely will cost more than the Q-Matic drive. Other systems ask you to install the clutch on the motor shaft [much wider], use chain [noisy] in the primary and spin the clutch at full engine speed [takes more power to spin a clutch at 4000 RPMs than at 2000 RPMs]

Hope this information is helpful.

Have fun,

strotter

Aug 7, 2008
Answer these questions.
How much am I willing to spend?
How fast do I want to cruise at?

I prefer Honda 35 or 50.

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
So Q if I bought one of your 79cc motors, what do i need to install it on a felt frame. Because i might just snag one of those from you. What does the motor come with???