New to the forum. Scott in Oregon

GoldenMotor.com

sissonscott

Jul 8, 2008
Boring, Oregon
Hello from a little town on Oregon named Boring (No kidding)

I thought I might as well get my feet wet and introduce myself.

HI !

I have built two bikes over the years the first one (In 1993) used a Ryobi Motor(off of a scrap weed eater) with a friction drive to the rear wheel on a 26" mountain bike. I used a urethane skate board wheel that I turned down to about 1" on my lathe for the motor drive. It worked but was to hard on the tires and slipped when wet. I also never go around to installing a kill switch on that thing and I several exciting moments. Actually it was far more trouble than fun :-||and I sold it on to some one who wanted the motor for an RC plane. Several weeks ago I was in Beijing for the Olympics (Work) and I saw so many neat home built motorized bicycles that I got the bug again.

So I built another one, This time using a 68CC Happy time motor, I did not like the idea of driving the rear wheel off the spokes so I machined a hub adapter and recut the center hole of the sprocket on my lathe. I put a limit of 200 dollar limit on the whole project and I am currently at 190 dollars spent, I got the Bike for free just need two new tires (7.99 each at Bimart end of season sale) and some adjustments, the motor kit was $160.00 and I got the Bike computer ( Digital speedo ) for 8 bucks at the same sale) the rest was for the the metal and other supplies used for the hub adapter.

Kind of a long winded intro. Hope I did not Bore you !!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Amazing Sissonscot. Looks good. Hope you share more about the homebrews in China.

Welcome, great to meet ya

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
SCOTT, WELCOME, GREAT BUILD AND PICTURES. (^) VERY INTERESTED IN THE HUB SPROCKET SETUP. BREAKING SPOKES IS BIG PROBLEM. :rolleyes: MORE DETAIL WOULD BE NICE IF POSSIBLE. THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US. RON :ride2:

sissonscott

Jul 8, 2008
Boring, Oregon
When I get back home this week I will make a thread showing how I made the simple and Cheep (12 Bucks) hub adapter, so you do not need to drive the rear sprocket off of the spokes. I do not know if it will work for everyone, but it has worked for me so far,:p

Scott