New guy w/ ??s

GoldenMotor.com

huntnfish08

Jun 21, 2008
I've been thinking about getting one of the "80cc" chinese kits from Ebay. Just stock isn't in my vocabulary. I figure I'll match the intake and exhaust manifolds to start. New plug wire. And throw on a 36 tooth rear sprocket. I only weigh 150# and nearly all rides will be on flat terrain. Trips to be made at 10 miles one way and under.

What should I expect for top cruising speed(@ acceptable RPMs)? I would like to get 40 mph around the top, over a 10 mile stretch. Is this realistic?

Can these engines use higher octane fuel for increases power? What does 100 octane do to these motors? Blow them up from knock? I'm guessing that the octane boost doesn't do much for a naturally aspirated motor?

Has anyone tried either alcohol or water injection? Here's a link if someone can relate their experience or expertise to the subject. H20 injection can produce more HP at cooler temps and increase fuel mileage, believe it or not!
Mother Earth Alcohol Fuel: Ron Novak's Do-It-Yourself Water Injection System
Homemade Water Injection Page

This is a great site. I had to sign up as soon as I found it. Thanks for any info,
Adam

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Adam. Great to meet you. Water injection sounds fascinating. I googled it and was surprised. Lots of info out there about it. One article I read stated they used it in WW2 aircraft. Pretty cool.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum :D

My Dad used to use water injection on his race car years ago. I used some racing fuel in my MB and it did have a little more performance. But me, it's all about saving money...Racing fuel is expensive!

:ride2:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the forum. i think with what you are talking about wanting that kind of speed you may want to talk to paplo or ghost about a jack shaft and also look for a good exhaust. make sure you you a good quility bike for those speeds also. alot can be done with these little motors. i find 30 mph on a bicycle is plenty fast to me. glad to have you with us
:ride:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Can these engines use higher octane fuel for increases power? What does 100 octane do to these motors? Blow them up from knock? I'm guessing that the octane boost doesn't do much for a naturally aspirated motor?

Has anyone tried either alcohol or water injection? Here's a link if someone can relate their experience or expertise to the subject. H20 injection can produce more HP at cooler temps and increase fuel mileage, believe it or not!
Mother Earth Alcohol Fuel: Ron Novak's Do-It-Yourself Water Injection System
Homemade Water Injection Page

This is a great site. I had to sign up as soon as I found it. Thanks for any info,
Adam
Higher octane actually reduces knock, so no, it wouldn't blow up. With a higher octane fuel you could run a much higher cylinder compression to increase performance.

As for water/alcohol injection, again they'd really only be useful if you were running higher cylinder compression to take advantage. Without that, I don't see them making any significant difference.