first "test" trip

GoldenMotor.com

bmc_az

May 22, 2009
Tucson,Az
Decided to do a test trip to Colossal Cave Mountain Park here in east Tucson.
It was a relaxing over nighter. From home to CC is about 22 miles of rolling twisty road out to the park .
Pulling the trailer does require some pedaling on the hills but I need it, I am kind of a big guy.

About the bike and gear.
Bike is an old CM mtn bike with good components, the engine is a 66 w 50 tooth from USABikeMotors here in town. It has the usual stuff including a dual pull break lever (needs to be longer).
The trailer is a quick a dirty for design testing with 20" wheels and axle level heim joint hitch. I use the plastic tubs and a cut down cargo net to hold them on. Trailer and gear, guessing, about 65 lb.

Speedo says 58 miles for the round trip. avg speed 16.7, max speed 25.6
all in all a very nice trip,strange for Tucson but it was "nice" 85 to 90, except for gas didn't touch the bike.

bmc_az

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Awesome bmc_az dnut

I have made the trip to Colossal Cave twice and it is a nice ride.

It has been kinda cool here for June, 90* it feels almost like spring still lol.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Was there enough room on the road on the way out? I haven't been that way for a (long) while and I remember it as kind of narrow.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Bmc. Looks like you enjoyed.

(be cool to make a fold out, pop-up tent trailer. I might have to thunk on this)

bmc_az

May 22, 2009
Tucson,Az
Been a while for me too, seems the bike lanes have been improved on, doesn't get too narrow.
I just don't know how we could make a light enough "contained"(tent cot style?) trailer?

Now I am ready for a longer trip! as soon as the weather cools. Lets see if I do 60 to 100 mi. a day Yuma, san diego/el centro or Lordsburg, Silver city,El paso. Sounds reasonable what do YOU think,

bmc_az