Hard starting - carb issue I think

GoldenMotor.com

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I've had hard starting issues for quite some time, in fact I haven't bothered to even ride it for a few months because of it. My china girl ran fine right out of the box. I'm not sure what has transpired but I did adjust the float to ~21 MM (now back to 18), moved the needle up and down, now back in the center, everything is stock. At first I thought it was the coil so I ordered a new coil and I have spark, I just don't smell any gas on the plug when I take it out. I know I have decent compression as I put my finger over the hole and get quite a blast when turning it over. It used to start in about 30 feet and the last time it took about a mile. I'm ready to just toss it and get a 4 stroke, any thoughts on why I'm not getting fuel in there. I just pulled the carb yesterday, moved the needle to position 3 checked the jet and it's clean, bowl was full.

I read about someone having an issue where the plug was firing when the guy had it out against the block but when installed it wouldn't fire and wonder if that could be it? Bueller? Bueller?:-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Have you tried priming it by pushing the primer down for 3-4 seconds? That should almost flood it and it should have plenty of gas on the plug. If not, you have a fuel flow problem, try looking at the screen in the tank where the petcock screws in.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
check your plug gap, too.

no one ever offers that as advice, but everyone who's ever worked on a motor knows that plug gaps affect how an engine starts, and runs.

too small of a gap will not give you enough of a spark, causing hard starts. too large and it should start better, but it'll suffer at higher RPMs.

check your plug, i experimented with gaps ranging from .008 to .045. the best i've found is at .030, like the manual says.

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I've got about 220 miles on the motor.

I know I have fuel as the bowl is full and I can see the fuel flowing from the tube. Here is my set up - Picasa Web Albums - bdiver - Motorized Bik... I did have an issue with the vent when I first started riding it and fixed that in a heartbeat!

I do have good compression and have totally left the air cleaner off for all the testing

I have pumped the primer, covered the hole with the choke, put my finger over the carb air intake and other things to help the fuel go in.

I checked the plug by putting it against the head and pushing the bike around and do get decent spark. I will go check the gap on it.

I have NOT checked the torque of the head so I'll do that and plug gap and give this a try.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you folks posted.

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I got the bike out a week or so ago and checked the head and 2 of the nuts were not tight so I tightened them up good so all 4 are tight. I left the air cleaner off and tried the choke on, choke off, finger plugging the hole for suction, tried the primer button 4-5 times and then the throttle on and off and still nothing... I pulled the plug and still dry as a bone. I'll play with the plug gap but when I have the plug out next to the block it fires as I push the bike down the driveway.

I can't believe the carb is bad, it's to simple to go bad.