What kind of car do you drive?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have three right now, but in true hillybilly style, only one is under 20 years old. In fact the two oldest have more than a half million miles between them, and no heaters!

My main car is a '96 Ford Aspire, 1.3 liter 4 cylinders, and 5 speed- I've gotten 42 mpg on the highway at about 60 mph. I got a great deal on it about 6 years ago, and it just turned over 90K. I bought it to replace the 88 Festiva I had that wouldn't pass CA smog without a lot of expense.

But I ended up never selling the Festiva, because it's now got 270,000 miles and is not worth much to anyone else. Never rebuilt- it still starts easily and I've driven it in good weather the last several years. The same motor and drive train as the later Aspire- but only 4 gears- it still does about 35 mpg on the road.

Then to move 5 years ago, I bought an '89 Plymouth Voyager- that I've used mostly for hauling home renovation materials for several years . It's stayed parked but has I think about 235,000 miles on it.

Unfortunartely the two oldest jalopies are now still parked on the floodplain where my home was swamped by 7 feet of water summer before last, while I'm relocating in Florida. Probably have to part with them, but they aren't worth much.

The Aspire and Festiva photos are about 5 years old now.
'69 Barracuda 318 V8 in 1984. What the photo doesn't show is the factory floral design vinyl top.
Here's my first car- 1949 Willy's Jeep Wagon- I bought in high school in 1970 for $225

Attachments

Last edited:

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Dont you wish you kept the jeep.I still have mine.Body off restoration 15 years ago.20 miles on it in 15 years.My wife wants it to drive everyday.H.D.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The better question for us old timers is what car do you wish you still had?

I had a 1997 (I think) geo metro convertible. My last convertible. Great fun car but alas I sold it for almost nothing because my wife said it was impractical. Never listen to a woman about cars. I wish I had it back, if I did I would probably drive regardless of what they all say.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
my dd's are a 05 caviler and a 97 dodge ram. my play car is an 03 dodge srt4, it has a turbonetics GTK350 turbo and everything that goes with it. 408hp and 427tq at the wheels. i like bikes as much or more than cars, an 08 yamaha WR250X and an 06 gasgas 280 pro trials bike keep the spot light in my garage.
i've owned more cars and bikes in my life than i can keep track off. have a 75 suzuki RE-5 rotory 500cc i plan to restore some day.
my first car was a 66 chevy 2 nova, 6cly three on the tree. those were the days.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
my dd's are a 05 caviler and a 97 dodge ram. my play car is an 03 dodge srt4, it has a turbonetics GTK350 turbo and everything that goes with it. 408hp and 427tq at the wheels. i like bikes as much or more than cars, an 08 yamaha WR250X and an 06 gasgas 280 pro trials bike keep the spot light in my garage.
i've owned more cars and bikes in my life than i can keep track off. have a 75 suzuki RE-5 rotory 500cc i plan to restore some day.
my first car was a 66 chevy 2 nova, 6cly three on the tree. those were the days.
Wow, what do you think of the 'RE-5? I had the 750 water buffalo, and always wanted the rotary.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Well, if we're going to mention old cars, I have to say I really miss my old 1977 Chevy Malibu. I bought it brand new for $3,995.00 and it was a faithfull horse for many years (he said, wiping a small tear). It looked good too (like all old chevys). ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
The two that Iwish I still had are a 1956 chevy convertible and a 1966 Chevy Nova SS with 4 speed and a 425 horse 327. Both are long gone.

Elmo

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
The two that Iwish I still had are a 1956 chevy convertible and a 1966 Chevy Nova SS with 4 speed and a 425 horse 327. Both are long gone.

Elmo
Elmo,
I think the '56 Chevy didn't get nearly the fanfare it deserved. I think I might like the '55 & '56 even better than the celebrated '57.

Oh man ... the 327! When I was in high school my Dad bought a new 1963 Chevy Impala SS with a 327 ... bucket seats with auto floor shift ... metal flake brown paint. I sure did like driving it after school. Years later, when he traded it in, I thought about it over night and went down to the dealer and bought it for what they allowed him in trade in. The amazing thing though was over night the car odometer lost about 50,000 miles ... got a super detailing job too!

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
Gareth ... that is one nice bug!
Thanks, but it has a pretty terminal case of cancer. I am looking for a new body shell to drop on it. I have put about 70k miles on it since I pulled it out of a field in NC. I have replaced both pan halfs, replaced the beam...drove the ball joints and tie rods out of it, and rebuilt the beam again. I've replaced every part in the braking system...most of it twice. It now has 4 wheel disc brakes. I rebuilt the engine...then eventually replaced that as the rebuild got tired (used case...lasted about what I expected it to). I replaced the transaxle, and need to due so again. It has lived a hard life. I have had it in mud and sand. I have had all four tires off the ground on a few jumps. It really isn't surprising at this point in it's life I have replaced most items twice.

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
I have a 1992 ford explorer and a 1962 Lincoln Continental. I tried to upload some photos, but they need to be resized and I gotta run. The Lincoln has suicide doors and is lowered. It is made up to look like a traditional hot rod/custom from the early 60's.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
guess i will jump in here, the ol lady has a subaru outback i have a 93 jeep grand cherokee, my other thing is a 59 willysa pickup with a chevy 250 i6 offenhauser 4 barrell manifold running a carter 2 barrell carb using an adapter someday getting headers and cdi distributoralso have a 79 dodge surveyor motorhome 32 foot with only 25k miles on it

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I'll chime in too.....
Daily beater is a 2006 Toyota X-Runner.
TRD Cold air intake makes it good for approx. 280hp. Fast as all get out for a small mostly stock truck. When I got it I had to re-atach the front clip. It was hanging down about 3" off the ground and flapping in the breeze. PO slammed the hiney of a Buick LuCerne with it and never did anything about the damage. Fenders are still waaay off kilter and the whole thing is twisted a bit to the left, but i don't care. It all is in one piece now and doesn't look like a piece of **** now.
All 4 sides are banged up in one way or another. Dents and creases in the nooks and crannies. It had a hard life before I got it!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
83 Dodge Motor Home. 60 gal. gas tank, 45 Gal. Propane tank, All the comforts of home with a 4.5 gallon per mile 440 motor. I don't drive it much. I do sit in the drivers seat and say Vroom, Vroom, LOL