Need Buying Advice.

GoldenMotor.com

Nottheend

Feb 3, 2009
Florida
I am considering buying a motorized bicycle due to a recent loss of license. My needs will not just be for a sport but as a major means of transportation. Everything I need is usually within 5-10 miles (i.e.groceries, drugstore, KMart, etc.). I'm a single older woman not real knowledgeable about mechanical things or even computer things! I guess that makes me pretty old! Oh well. Anyhow, I don't want just an engine kit, I want to get the bike the engine, the whole works. I went online and found many but have no clue what's good and what's not. It has to be within Florida's legal limits to not require a license (cannot go over 20mph). I would rather spend the money on something that will last, instead of something cheap that's not dependable or a short life. This forum may be too advanced for me. I checked out some of the postings and it was all way over my head. If I should go to another website, please let me know, I won't be offended. I'm not real smart about much, obviously, or I wouldn't be in the position I am in. BUT life goes on and can be good!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nott,
Before offering too much in the way of advice you probably should know a few facts first.
Are you a proficient bicycle rider? That, I would feel to be important. These motor assisted bikes are fun but require a certain degree of mechanical ability to maintain and keep them running. They are not actually intended for reliable daily transportation but more as a novelty item for the tinkerer. There are people who use them daily but they generaly possess some mechanical skills and without those skills a motor assisted bicycle or MB, could quickly become a financial burdon if the owner was forced rely on outside help to repair and maintain the bike. This being said and if you're still serious about getting into this wonderful quirky past time, I would suggest you read some of the primary information offered here directed mainly at the newcomer. There are dealers who sell ready-to-ride bikes, some are advertisers on this forum. Spookytooth being one which has already been suggested and there are others. A Florida company you might check out is called Five Flags Motor Bikes. I do not have a link for them but they should be easy enough to locate.
Don't hesitate to ask if we can answer any other questions for you.
Tom