Dropped my bike.....

GoldenMotor.com

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
So i was working on my bike earlier today and my brother in law was holding it on one side while i was working. (it has a kickstand but i was screwing in, so i would've overpowered it.) but he let go of it when i was done forgetting the kickstand wasn't out, it dropped right on the cement and gas started leaking out of the carb. Could anything gotten damaged when it was dropped? Or am i just overreacting? I looked over the external parts of the bike and nothing seems to be wrong, but could it have messed something up internally? would really appreciate some words.

,Thanks

:-||

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
I got hit by taxi first week out, knocked me off the bike. Bike went down hard, motor still running...hit the kill switch...gas on the road... Aside from the rear wheel getting bent, didn't hurt the motor at all.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
While its possible that the float arms in the carburetor could have gotten bent, if the engine still runs and idles properly then nothing is wrong. So your first test is to try to start it and see if it runs and idles the same as before you dropped it. If it does, you're fine. If not, then its time to investigate. I too had an accident on my first bike. It flooded sometimes after that, but eventually the problem went away.

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
okay, thanks so much guys, that really re-leaving, the bike doesn't have chain chain on i atm, so i cant check it till i get one put on tomorrow.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The most common damage from falling over is bending or kinking a cable or handlebar lever. Clutch, brake or throttle cables seem to always take the brunt of contact with a floor or the ground. Check your controls, especially the brakes if handlebar mounted. Make sure everything works before riding the bike. If the engine hit the floor you'd see obvious signs of where it hit. I doubt that it suffered any. If there is any sign that the tank hit the floor keep an eye on it and make sure it isn't leaking around the studs.

Tom

Last edited: