Would like to offer a new engine mounted chain tensioner to the motorbike community!

GoldenMotor.com

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Hi guys, this a question to the forum moderators. I have a newly designed spring loaded chain tensioner for the 49cc/66cc/80cc 2-stroke engines, and would like to offer it to the motor-bike community. Is there anything I need to do first before I start selling these on the forum?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Would like to offer a new engine mounted chain tensioner to the motorbike communi

Any offers of items for sale should be posted in the 'Swap & Shop' section only. Start there and if there is any interest you can sell your products to those who want them.

Because we have a minimum post count for members to post sale items in 'Swap & Shop' which you have not yet met I will leave this in 'Gereral Discussion' until prices are mentioned or ordering information is posted.

Tom

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
NEW PRODUCT FOR JULY! Engine-mounted, Spring loaded chain tensioner!

Hello to everyone! I would like to start offering a automatically adjusting, engine-mounted chain tensioner kit to my fellow motorbike enthusiasts.

The chain tensioner brackets are machined from 6061 Aluminum, and ALL mounting hardware is included, as well as the tensioner wheel and spring. All of the bolts and nuts are stainless steel! This is designed, made, and shipped from Michigan Motor Bikes, based in Port Huron, MI.

The chain tensioner wheel is a urethane skateboard wheel, which has EXCELLENT wearing characteristics, and will last for the lifetime of your bike. If you are doing a cool custom bike, there are an infinite selection of colors and graphics for skateboard wheels, and the bearings are readily available at any local skateboard shop.

The TWO skateboard bearings that support the wheel and chain are built to ABEC 5 standards, which simply means they are quality bearings. Their rubber shields can also be removed for cleaning and light greasing, if it is ever necessary.

The only tools required are a 13mm or 1/2 wrench, a 4mm allen wrench, and a 5mm allen wrench. I may make the allen wrenches available as an add-on item in the future.

If you look at the pictures, there are two possible holes for the wheel bolt. There are also three different holes on the engine bracket for the spring, which is to accomodate for the many different bicycle configurations out there.

I have 150 miles on this tensioner (as seen in pictures) and can say it has worked flawlessly for me.

Some of the problem with manual chain tensioners are:

1)As the roller pins wear in the chain, the chain will constantly have to be adjusted, which is often very inconvenient.

2) If the chain is overly tensioned (as it is easy to do with a manual tensioner), it can cause excessive wear/loading on the engine clutch shaft bearings.

3) The one included with the kit can loosen up and roll over into the rear wheel spokes, causing severe damage and possible injury to the rider.

4) Manual chain tensioners that clamp to the frame can damage the bikes finish.

5) Manual chain tensioners are not very nice to look at!

These will be available starting July 3rd for $39.99, and that includes free shipping within the U.S. If you are located outside the U.S., shipping will be extra, just send me a PM and we can work out the details!

Payment is done through Paypal.

I do my best to ship as quickly as possible, usually within 24hrs of recieving payment during business days. These are shipped via USPS Priority Mail.

Feel free to ask any questions, and I will do my best to get back to you ASAP! Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Re: Would like to offer a new engine mounted chain tensioner to the motorbike communi

Good looking set up, I'm sure you'll find some interested people here on the forum.
Wish you the best and hope you sell a boat load of them.

Map

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas

I like the bolt on design as well.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Are they selling well yet? I would certainly think it would considering its less than half the price of PCs kipper . Have thought about putting it up on e-bay?

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Thanks for the kind words guys! I just put it up on ebay, please check out the link!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181171012767#ht_2452wt_1170

I will also be happy to sell it to you directly through the forum, simply send me a PM and I will get back to as soon as I can with my paypal address. I do my best to ship quickly. If you are not comfortable with sending me payment directly through Paypal, the ebay link above is always another option!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I just pulled the trigger!! Lots cheaper than the motorcycle 'upgrades' that I used to spend money on.......lol!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Your pics and write up on EBay look great with plenty of info. The only info I might add is that your tensioner can be used "in addition" to a stock tensioner. Builders will often run two motor chain tensioners on stretch bikes like the OCC chopper and on rear suspension bikes. A lot of the OCC chopper builders are first time builders and do not know the joy of getting the motor chain to behave.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Wishing you success with ebay. I'm glad to see a good idea made available to others and hope you make some money while you're at it.
SB

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

Your pics and write up on EBay look great with plenty of info. The only info I might add is that your tensioner can be used "in addition" to a stock tensioner. Builders will often run two motor chain tensioners on stretch bikes like the OCC chopper and on rear suspension bikes. A lot of the OCC chopper builders are first time builders and do not know the joy of getting the motor chain to behave.
Thank you for the info, that's a great idea! I haven't had the pleasure of putting an OCC style chopper together yet, I might have to do it just for the experience!

Wishing you success with ebay. I'm glad to see a good idea made available to others and hope you make some money while you're at it.
SB
Thanks! The profit on these is very minimal, but for now I will keep it low just to get them out there. The cost of metric stainless hardware, aluminum plate, bearings, wheels and springs adds up in a hurry. In the future I might raise the price by $5-10 at most, but that is a ways off yet.

Again, thanks to everyone for the support! Great community, great forum!

Last edited:

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

Just a note, any orders placed between today (Sunday) and Wednesday will be shipped on Thursday; going on a camping/canoe trip!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Just a note, any orders placed between today (Sunday) and Wednesday will be shipped on Thursday; going on a camping/canoe trip!
Ah, a canoe trip. That's the best camping there is. I grew up in northeastern Minnesota on the edge of what is now the million acre Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. My earliest memories as a boy are of shooting rapids, camping on islands to avoid bears, fishing for dinner, falling asleep to the sound of loons calling in the night. And lots of mosquitoes... Have a great trip.
SB

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Looks like a great idea, one option some may find useful would be a turn buckle instead of the spring. Not knocking your design but that came to mind.

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

Ah, a canoe trip. That's the best camping there is. I grew up in northeastern Minnesota on the edge of what is now the million acre Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. My earliest memories as a boy are of shooting rapids, camping on islands to avoid bears, fishing for dinner, falling asleep to the sound of loons calling in the night. And lots of mosquitoes... Have a great trip.
SB
Nothing like canoeing/kayaking! It's definitely a way of life here on the Great Lakes as well. Appreciate the wish for great trip, I'm sure it will be!

Looks like a great idea, one option some may find useful would be a turn buckle instead of the spring. Not knocking your design but that came to mind.
The idea had crossed my mind before, I will definitely consider it. Appreciate the thought Greg!