Saying Hi from San Antonio

GoldenMotor.com

Medicsgirl

Mar 11, 2012
San Antonio
Hello, My name is Medicsgirl. I am in San Antonio, TX. I have been a member here since April, but tend to lurk around. My Husband and I have our bikes, and we are now to the point of looking at, and hopefully very soon purchasing our engines.

I know I want a 4 stroke v-mount engine, but I don't know how to build it.

I am just not that mechanically inclined. And he knows less then I do.

Is there any one in San Antonio that is willing to do the builds for me at a reasonable cost? I had a guy I was talking to, but he seems to be getting a bit flaky on me.

I am hoping to find the right builder that is also willing to come back every 3-6 months and do my tunes up, oil changes, etc (also paid time).

I am hopefull that I will find someone in my area.

Thanks for looking....

Medicsgirl.
.crt.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I recommend a 2 stroke instead of a 4 stroke. The advantages of a 2 stroke are many.

lower initial cost
easier to install in frame
lower maintenance costs
easier maintence
more aftermarket support
higher performance

Other things to consider. In Texas we ride in a gray area of the law. The gray area revolves around the issue of whether a mb is self propelled or not.

All the 4 stroke MB kits have centrifugal clutches. If all you have to do is give it the gas and go, a prosecutor could argue in court that your MB is in fact self propelled, which would make it a motor vehicle requiring a license to ride, and registration which is impossible to get under current Texas law.

A china girl style MB has to be peddled up to about 5 or 6 mph before you can let the clutch out. That's why they're not considered self propelled.

Medicsgirl

Mar 11, 2012
San Antonio
We looked at the pros and cons of both, but we (mostly he since he is paying for them) has decided on the 4 stroke becuase of the oil gas mix on the 2 strokes. Now what I need is the builder.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It could be worse. In the UK, if it has an engine, it gets taxed and you have to jump through approval hoops before you can get on the road. Even the gentle little cyclemotor I want to build.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
First job first. I have to go and buy sprockets and chain next week for the petrol engined battery charger I want to build.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
We looked at the pros and cons of both, but we (mostly he since he is paying for them) has decided on the 4 stroke becuase of the oil gas mix on the 2 strokes. Now what I need is the builder.
We'll that's probably ok. As long as you make it your practice to always peddle away from stops I don't think you'll have any legal problems. As long as no policeman can say he saw you ride off under power without peddling, it shouldn't ever be an issue.