Leaking leftover oil?

GoldenMotor.com

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
My brand new *first* build is going great. I took it for a nice long test run around the block a few times and it seems to run smoother and smoother the more I use it.

I've noticed that right under the engine where the exhaust pipe bolts in there's black oil that seems to have leaked out. I wouldn't say it's a lot but its certainly noticeable on a shiny new engine. Is this normal?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Unburnt oil gets exhausted through a small hole near the top of the muffler and will spray onto anything in its path. On my bike it usually drips off the back of the front fender. I also learned early on not to wear white shoes while riding. Anyway it is a normal thing with the 2-cycle bikes unless it is leaking directly from the engine. The exhaust issue is why I am switching to a long pipe!

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I was thinking about running to Home depot for some parts and figured I should get this leaking problem fixed while I'm there.

1. Should I replace the gaskets or just add one?
2. What would I be looking for in the store? I have an idea in my head of just a sheet of rubber or some sort where I can trace out a replica of the current gasket and cut it out.

For the second part I know what I want but not what I'm looking for, what should I use? It obviously needs to stand up to the heat of the engine/exhaust pipe