New to the fun

GoldenMotor.com

Krimme

Jul 20, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Hello all, I just bought a trek 3500 and want to put a motor on it, by myself, without a kit.
I typed D I Y motorized bicycle into the Google search bar and came up with this site.
So I am wondering, any good sticky threads that explains the process from start to finish? Preferably with pictures and detailed explanations?
Also I live in Portland Oregon. We are a very bicycle friendly city so if there are any other motivated people out there with some experience in the matter, feel free to help me out! dnut

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. By definition, there are no standard procedures for a DIY motorbike. Seems like most guys get the engine mounted securely and proceed from there. Just my opinion, but if this is your first motorbike build, I would purchase a kit motor. You will not have to worry about damaging the Trek frame with a kit and you will be on the road sooner. I would install a kit motor, ride and learn to solve the basic problems before tackling a custom motorbike build. If you are experienced with small engine mounting and maintenance, go ahead and build a custom ride.

Krimme

Jul 20, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Been looking into it quite a bit, I don't think it would be a good idea to put one on my trek. Been looking on CL and found a cheap weedwacker and cruiser. This should be fun, i'll let you know how it goes.