New to this forum and to motor bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

caasix

Jul 8, 2012
California
I am new to this forum but not new to forums. I am active on a forum called SR20-forum, but that's for cars and what not, specifically nissans. My step dad turned me onto motorized bikes and now I'm waiting to get started!
Here are a few questions to start:
- Are these california legal? I've read different threads, not on this forum, and there are different stories being told. I don't mind if its not CA legal, just want to know fact from fiction
- Next is what is the recommended route. On my other forum if you ask a question that has already been answered hundreds of times before, you get flammed like crazy, so I'm prepared, but this is a introduce yourself section so I'm hoping for the best!
I live in a small town, where I work and go to school, so its not necessary to drive everywhere. I've biked in the past, and it was doable, however now I really want a motorized bike and am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I have welding equipment available to me, so a custom look is a route I want to take, but in terms of what motor to buy and all the stuff that goes along with it, I would like some advice there. Noted I am in CA, so I don't know how easy it will be to ship a kit, a few sites even said they don't sell to CA residents.
-what kind of frames are recommended, forks for better suspension, etc.

** I'm really looking for fuel efficiency and tops 35-40 MPH. I read that people were getting 150+ MPG, that would be awesome, and I only weigh 150, so that number might go higher.

So like I said, just looking for a direction to be pointed in for kits to buy and frames that hold up the best. I like the cruiser look, and it matches with the custom look I want, so specific makers would be nice recommendations! Thanks for any help!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Caasix, welcome.

For the legal stuff, should go to state DMV web site. Straight from the horse's mouth sorta deal.

LOL, we actually have a no flaming rule and really are some great and kind folks here.

For bicycle consideration; http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

MPG and MPH will vary greatly due to engine choice and ridding style.

Looking forward to seeing your build. Have fun and ride safe!

.flg.

Last edited:

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Hey, Caasix.

To add to what Dan said, people here are pretty nice. You won't get blasted, but your post will just not be answered. If you have any question, just make sure you search first. Use key words, and you'll probably find the answer.

As for fuel savings, you'll be pretty happy to know that other then just riding a unassisted bicycle, this is as fuel sipping as you'll get. This is even more fuel efficient then a scooter (yep, it's true).

If I can give you some advice.

First off.. These bike are really for fun. I don't like my bike for any other reason but to just ride it. I like to build things, and then ride them. This is the easiest and cheapest way. DO NOT, though, think this is a motorcycle. 30 MPH on this feels like 100 on my R1. So be careful. If you put a motor on the bike, you better have very good brakes on that bike. With that being said, don't go killing yourself to see if you can get 40 MPH.

Also, they do break down. Don't be pissed if it does. So, to go around thinking this is the most reliable means of transportation is rediculous. These are pretty much the simplest engines on the market. Two stroke, and go. But, things go wrong every now and again. So, don't be upset when it does. But, if it does, it just turns into a bicycle. So, you can still get there.

Just know what you're getting into. It is very very fun. I love it. I have fun every time I ride. Just don't go braking land speed records.