Stepping out of the shadows..

GoldenMotor.com

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
I spent the majority of a 12 hour shift glued to this site.

Me:
Not a true gearhead. have tinkered on my 84 g-body w/ help of a haynes zpt (so not a complete idiot to mechanics). SUPER GEEKED about starting a project and getting on the road.

What I'm in it for:
Initially, cheap commuter. (we own three cars --any one wanna buy a g-body?-- and moving to Cali). Now i'm busting at the seams to get started, go all out and get into the weeds having been inspired by just how amazing you guys' work is.

The work u guys put in and the final products are amazing. moreso, the since of community. and an aire of "undergroundedness". the majority of Americans have yet to step into the world of alternate travel options. .cs. (Can't wait to be close to Amtrak!!)

Direction ahead:
I'm stuck on the concept of the Franco Morini Engine (9.4HP S6S). I was considering a boardie (modernized) [AMAZING job to the german gent, Russen!!!]. I've settled on a frame much akin to the boXer. Got the idea while researching antique cycles. The style is 1950 Rumi Scoiaolotto Turismo. I plan to do a pseudo modernized version. Problem is: I hardly know the first thing about building an MB. Luckily, I'm in the right place....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyday without an MB is a day too long.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Welcome to the forum!
Your in the right place, this forum is a treasury of information.

The Morini engines are nice, but a little out of most people price range, plus you have to custom make and weld/bolt mounts for the motor.
The only reason I have a boxer with a Morini is because I bought it locally on craigslist for a very reasonable price! Theirs I nothing like a full suspension motorized bicycle. .wee.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
That's how it works; see...
You remember what you wanted when you were a kid.
Forgot about it for awhile.

You see someone with a MB going down the street in your 40's.

Then you want one, then it just builds, and builds, you can't take it anymore, I need this! It's my dream, my new reason for living and being alive, you look around for a donor bike, then you finally do it, whip out your credit card and order a motor!

I then had a motorized bike for under 300 bux!
Bike- 50 bux
Motor delivered- 206 bux, including taxes, delivery charge.
Extra bolts, chemical goops, extra hardware, then, finally, gas & oil! Probably around $50.00

Plus of course, wear and tear on dremel bits and other hidden expenses.

Yeah, I've been there dude! dance1

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Yoko- Welcome to the forum. i would build a China girl and learn the ropes before installing a Morini. Make your mistakes on the cheap motor. Just my opinion.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I agree with wheelbender6... Buy a cheap kit and expand your knowledge before moving on to an expensive setup. That way you can determine if you have the general mechanical sense and patience that some kits require. You never know, your taste may change as time moves on and you might want something completely different. Either way, welcome to the forum, make sure to post plenty pictures to share with us all. :)

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Yoko- Welcome to the forum. i would build a China girl and learn the ropes before installing a Morini. Make your mistakes on the cheap motor. Just my opinion.

I agree with this. Morini's do not come with a kit, everything has to be sourced and fabricated. Very little can be adapted fron the China kits to them. And with a nearly 10 horsepower motor like your thinking on motor mounts are critical.

The Chinese to Morini path is the same that I went down. After getting disgusted with the quality of the chinee motors and electronics I dumped all the stuff at a loss. I had poured a bunch of money into the aftermarket parts without going into the motor and maybe had the same power of the lowest HP Morini. Puch head, expansion chamber exhaust, billit intake, upgraded carb and ignition system. I even got the improved bolts from sick bike parts. It just wasn't worth it to me with all the other failings.

Now, that being said there are many who have gotten excellent service right from the box with a stock kit, don't get me wrong. Never do an upgrade at all and ride them for years with hardly any trouble at all. Almost seems a matter of luck to me though. Who knows, you could be one of the lucky ones ;)

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Welcome to the forum!
Your in the right place, this forum is a treasury of information.

The Morini engines are nice, but a little out of most people price range, plus you have to custom make and weld/bolt mounts for the motor.
The only reason I have a boxer with a Morini is because I bought it locally on craigslist for a very reasonable price! Theirs I nothing like a full suspension motorized bicycle. .wee.

Ocho, they do cost a pretty penny. And If I could find one all slapped together to start out with, I probably would. Switch out the frame to suit and *tada* be on the road STAT. Now I'm gonna have to snoop around C-list...

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
That's how it works; see...
You remember what you wanted when you were a kid.
Forgot about it for awhile.

You see someone with a MB going down the street in your 40's.

Then you want one, then it just builds, and builds, you can't take it anymore, I need this! It's my dream, my new reason for living and being alive, you look around for a donor bike, then you finally do it, whip out your credit card and order a motor!

I then had a motorized bike for under 300 bux!
Bike- 50 bux
Motor delivered- 206 bux, including taxes, delivery charge.
Extra bolts, chemical goops, extra hardware, then, finally, gas & oil! Probably around $50.00

Plus of course, wear and tear on dremel bits and other hidden expenses.

Yeah, I've been there dude! dance1
I feel you, though I'm only creeping up to near 30. Early midlife crisis, that's all. where might one happen upon this "donor bike" that you speak of? Is there a buy/sell/trade thread i'm missing here? If so, I'm hauling @$$ in that direction.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
China Girl engine kit and Cranbrook cruiser from wally world. It's a very popular combination and a great place to start. Affordable and tons of examples to work from - that would be a great place to start. Moroni engines are not what you want to start off with.

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
I agree with this. Morini's do not come with a kit, everything has to be sourced and fabricated. Very little can be adapted fron the China kits to them. And with a nearly 10 horsepower motor like your thinking on motor mounts are critical.

The Chinese to Morini path is the same that I went down. After getting disgusted with the quality of the chinee motors and electronics I dumped all the stuff at a loss. I had poured a bunch of money into the aftermarket parts without going into the motor and maybe had the same power of the lowest HP Morini. Puch head, expansion chamber exhaust, billit intake, upgraded carb and ignition system. I even got the improved bolts from sick bike parts. It just wasn't worth it to me with all the other failings.

Now, that being said there are many who have gotten excellent service right from the box with a stock kit, don't get me wrong. Never do an upgrade at all and ride them for years with hardly any trouble at all. Almost seems a matter of luck to me though. Who knows, you could be one of the lucky ones ;)
Bender/F Rod/Dave,
I understand the sense of caution that must be applied to dumping a bucket of $ into a project as a newbie, but I am not interested in going the path of dumping a truck full of money into a china girl only to have to upgrade to the real deal Holyfield. Therein lies my dilemma... But here's why:
I need a legit and reliable good girl by my side, to cruise me effortlessly and expediently throughout the hillsides of nor santa barbara co. I'd rather spend the
$$ upfront on all the best and take my time with her and get it right. Is that a foolish notion? Weigh in for me fellas...

Thanks for the legit input.

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
And find out we shall... frame shopping now. Know of any places to look for inexpensive, yet sturdy frames?

One other thing, I've totally pulled a flip flop... I'm really feeling the Felt 1903 frame, ready to get that bad boy in-hand. Is my only option to buy new for an arm and a leg?

Also, I'm concerned w/ all of the stop production action that has come and gone w/ the Morini that I won't be able to find one later on if I hold out. Am I just being paranoid ?

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2972085654.html

Not sure if this is still available but might be worth a shout. I found mine by looking online for Felt dealers and then searching the store inventory. A dealer two hours from me had a 1903 on the showroom floor on sale. Mine now. A lot of bike shops are putting old inventory on sale around here but I have no idea what it's like where it stays warm all the time!

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Morini to start off with is cool if you are confident you know what you are doing and getting into, if you are just getting into it its a china motor kit is a better starting point because you can learn what is up in an affordable and complete manner, it seems each bike I build I do something different and better with each one. The mornini engine is more expensive and does not come with any sort of kit to mount it to the bike. You have to source/fabricate all that yourself

Overall, it builds a foundation of knowledge and is cheaper to start with a china engine kit, and it would suck to screw up a expensive engine like a mornini just due to beginners luck.

You can get the bike all solid like you want it and then swap in a mornini, the engine is a small percentage of building a MB, there are many other components.

Like, That's Just my opinion man.

dance1

Last edited:

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Locell-

Cool man. I really appreciate that. My g/f wants hers motorized so I've just decided to go with a cheap china girl to start, tinker around on zpt and eventually install onto her huffy (if its not all beat to crap by then) and then upgrade my own. Thanks again.