Boy-go-fast?

GoldenMotor.com

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I have been dealing with Rick at BGF since my first build,I have ordered 3 engines from him as well as parts and other issues,I plan on using them again.
in almost 3 years the one time we did have an issue Rick Shi was right on it and we resolved very quickly and I was very impressed with the Z280.
im sorry you feel that way,I hope you get it resolved.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
That's a really bad pocket protector there, sport!

I've bought a number of things there and had no problems. Fast and usually good prices. Like most vendors, I wish he had better descriptions and photos. (I'm available)

I think some talk here is because BGF doesn't advertise here. Ya got to advertise!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I know that when I first got started he didn't know much about the bikes themselves, he is after all a dealer. Being a dealer does not require that you bulid bikes as well, though a lot of them do. When I had a problem I contracted him and he sent me to the other forum for help. That was a disaster, but I did meet Norm there who solved my problem.

I have no complaint at all with him. I even bought the piston rings I used to replace the ones I ruined because I couldn't get any good advice on the other forum. So I can't complain about him and that is the only engine i ever bought.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
ive ordered also no probs some of the parts i recieved wher excellent quality considering what were working with here ive also recieved everything in 3 days look at his feed back on ebay the good definately out wieghs the bad just my experiences

dule

Dec 23, 2009
Zagreb
hope i'll be as lucky as you guys - i've just ordered mine kit... at his eBay store he offered the lowest price for the engine and shipping to my part of the globe, not cheap (kit 89$, shipping 150) but cheaper than others (for a few $ but still cheaper). hope It'll have a smooth and safe ride to my destination and everything will work out just fine

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
My experience was about 50/50. The order and shipping went smoothly however what I ordered is not what I got. I ordered the Black slant-head motor kit, with a "free upgrade to a black cat muffler, a $35 upgrade to match your black motor" (BGF's words, not mine). They sent me a black slant-head motor but a chrome muffler.

When I wrote Rick the reply I got was "The factory is sending out Chrome mufflers now". I replied that if that was the case he shouldn't have advertised the "Free upgraded" as that was a deciding factor of me buying from him and that I wanted the black muffler that was advertised as a free upgrade, or I wanted the $35 that they said it was valued at. He offered me $5, I said that wasn't even enough to cover a can of high-temp paint for me to paint it black myself. We dickered back and forth and finally arrived at a $10 refund to cover me painting this one black myself.

The exchange left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, and I haven't finished my install yet, but as long as my motor is OK I guess I'll be satisfied.

Last edited:

stines1

Sep 22, 2010
port charlotte fl
BGF what can i say i ordered the 66.8cc dual start cent clutch kit shipping was fast engine and kit looked great i installed it in about 3 hours "i am a 26 year certified automotive master tech" with no glitches i gassed her up put the choke on and pulled the cord. Much to my amazement she fired first pull i removed the choke got on gave it some gas and nothing---------- did the quick checks as one should always do took off cent clutch cover started it back up and it was engaging. removed the cable from the dry clutch and put it on a stand started it up and still no movement. (now removed cent clutch) to find that the gear on the clutch assembly free spins. one phone call to rick and i am good to go he said he would be sending me a new clutch in the next day or so.
Now he is in cally and i am here in florida i know he does not know me or my phone number but the MAN answered on the second ring and had absolutly no problem talking to me yes his english is scetchy but i am a redneck from the sticks mine is sketchy also my point is this great customer service with one phone call thats all it took.
PS if you look on your shipping label right under the address in cally you should find a 909 area code that is his phone number if you really need it for a legit reason shoot me a mail and i can give it to you

oldsub

Dec 9, 2010
Victoria
Here my thoughts about Boygofast:

Here's what you better do before you decided to use BoyGoFast for your engine or any other bike supplies. Check out his Ebay feedback first, the negative ones. This person gets at least one negative feedback per day. Next just Google boygofast online and see just how many complains this person has. Wow, total shocking, how this person has cheated good honest buyers out of their money. It appears all is OK, providing you don't run into problem with his junk. If you got problems, you have just thrown your money away, because you won't get a refund or no help from BoyGoFast. Not even an email. I know because he got me for once for $16 plus $14 for shipping for two, (what was suppose to be a double brake lever). Man, what I received was just a single brake lever that somebody machined, to make it look like it was a double brake lever. But there was no way to hook the brake cables to the lever. I wish I knew how to attached images to this message, because you would laugh at what he was selling. I took it up with PayPal and won the case, but they wanted me to return the levers, at a cost of $17, boy this is what is called "Buyers Protection." This was my first bad experience with Ebay, after many years of buying thing I needed. The lesson for me is this, before you buy, read the feedbacks, if any negative ones. Forget buying from that person. This should also include Google the seller, for threads and other complains.

So if you are against this kind of Ebay selling, I'm with you and lets do something OK. Will be back to you.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I always received my BGF orders faster than I expected, probably because he's so close. Bought 10 motor kits over a 2 year period, used 6 with no problems. The next 2 vibrated so bad, I had to take them apart and balance the cranks, as they were not even close to being right. I emailed him explaning the problem. He returned my emails offering replacement head gaskets for $3 shipping. I still have 2 motor kits left that were purchased before the ones I had problems with, so I suspect they will be okay. I'll admit, I was considerably upset, but realized I could probably get bad motors from any vender. My emails were cordial. I was in retail sales for over 30 years and know complaints should sound more like inquiries than venting. I haven't purchased from him since, but may in the future.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I don't build bikes with the Chinese frame mount engines and have never done business with those that sell them. I have read many post from those that do and have seen many complaints directed at BGF, mostly from first time builders. I have also seen poll results from buyers on just about every vendor out there and I'll share some of this data with you.

BGF: Excellent-5, Above Average-2, Average-3, Below Average-3, Poor-4

Pirate Cycles: Excellent-16, Above Average-0, Average-0, Below Average-0, Poor-0

Dax: Excellent-24, Above Average-12, Average-0, Below Average-0, Poor-3

The data is limited and I'm judging BGF against two of the better vendors but it does appear that his commitment toward customer service is not on par with the other two. On the flip side, it would seem his prices are lower.

What I would take away from this is, if you're a first time builder, go with the customer service and pay a little more for a less frustrating experience. Experienced builders, who are willing to deal with a few issues in order to get the best price, may find BGF a great dealer.

IMHO

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I have only bought one kit from BGF. It arrived in just a few days with a RAW plate on the side. It is easily the best engine I have, starts with with a simple push off with no peddling required. But I'm not really much of a middleman guy so the next time I needed kits I ordered straight from RAW. I got engines with the same RAW plate on them , but it took about two weeks instead of the promised 5 days and I still have not received a response to the e-mail I sent asking where my kits were and they cost me about $15 more per kit. The delay cost me not only three sales but any future dealings with this customer because I was unable to honor our agreement

I have also bout several little pieces parts from BGF and he has always quickly answered any e-mailed questions I have before and after the purchase, and has always shipped fast

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
On my first purchase from BGF I had that exact c-clutch gear problem. The gear was missing the three tack ewlds and the pull start PAWL failed. After some communications, Rick agreed to ship the PAWL (actually sent two) as I had offered to take care of the tack welds.
I have now only purchased engines from him(When they are on sale & free shipping). If I had any complaint it would be: He does not offer combined shipping on parts. Ordering three small parts the shipping gets to be excessive.
All in all I will give a thumbs up.

BGF what can i say i ordered the 66.8cc dual start cent clutch kit shipping was fast engine and kit looked great i installed it in about 3 hours "i am a 26 year certified automotive master tech" with no glitches i gassed her up put the choke on and pulled the cord. Much to my amazement she fired first pull i removed the choke got on gave it some gas and nothing---------- did the quick checks as one should always do took off cent clutch cover started it back up and it was engaging. removed the cable from the dry clutch and put it on a stand started it up and still no movement. (now removed cent clutch) to find that the gear on the clutch assembly free spins. one phone call to rick and i am good to go he said he would be sending me a new clutch in the next day or so.
Now he is in cally and i am here in florida i know he does not know me or my phone number but the MAN answered on the second ring and had absolutly no problem talking to me yes his english is scetchy but i am a redneck from the sticks mine is sketchy also my point is this great customer service with one phone call thats all it took.
PS if you look on your shipping label right under the address in cally you should find a 909 area code that is his phone number if you really need it for a legit reason shoot me a mail and i can give it to you

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If I had any complaint it would be: He does not offer combined shipping on parts. Ordering three small parts the shipping gets to be excessive.
All in all I will give a thumbs up.
That is interesting...

One time I bought a clutch pulling tool in the morning, and in the afternoon I went back and bought a chain breaking tool from BGF.

These were two separate listings with their associated shipping charges.
Without my asking, or anything, he combined shipping and refunded me the difference.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
bgf is ok as long as nothing is wrong with the engine or components. last 3 kits i bought had dented fuel tanks and bgf wouldn't help me replace them.

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
Mixed feelings. Clutch handle broke (cheap metal), at the screw joint, but with photos, he offered a replacement (paid shipping). Whether he made a couple bucks on it or not, who knows.

Better handle arrived. That also broke quickly though, but was able to keep it on because it was a clean break on the opposite side, so screwing it in still held it fine. Mehhh.

CDI box or boot cable was bunk though. Replacement box immediately fired up the engine & it ran...didn't order from him on that to ensure such.

Instructions...wow. Just god awful. Thank God for forums like these and YouTube videos that not only explain it more cleanly, but can show it when in doubt.

The rest, well, are just little things that need to be tweaked. Stock spark plug, carb may be drawing in a little air at the connection, etc. That you can't avoid...

Honestly, if it looks that sketchy, avoid him. There are plenty of places to choose from these days.

Makes you wonder if some of his shipments got banged up on the boat from China :D

Big Boy

Feb 25, 2010
Puerto Rico
I live in Puerto Rico and I have a excellent comunication with BGF. Everytime I ordered from bgf I received my items with fast shipping and exactly what I bought

rusken73

Apr 19, 2011
PA
I got to say that guy always treats me very well me and my buddy had our kits for 3 years and we had no probs with them and if we need anything he is fast to get the part to us. We have got kits for other people too had they or we had no prob i would recommend him to anyone....