GoldenMotor.com

cappy

Jul 30, 2008
Hello,

I just joined this board. In the past I have spent time on motorcycle boards exchanging info. and I realize how helpful places like this can be. I would like to run this by all of you. I am planning on retrofitting my old Trek bike with an 80cc Stihl chainsaw motor. The plans involve using the existing rear gear set with the derailer. Ditch the front derailer and run from engine through two sets of gear reduction jackshafts. Overall ratio at top speed would be about 12:1. I have seen on Utube several bikes set up using the existing gears. This seems like a good way to go vs. friction drive. I work as manufacturing engineer so getting parts made is easy. Can some enlighten me before spend too much time going down this road.

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with the chainsaw motor, don't know much about them. I bet with a real 80cc and correct gearing it'll go like greased lightning. Your gear ratio sounds pretty close. And I guess you'll use a freewheel crank for the pedals? Thats what Pablo and Ghosto do with their jackshaft kits. Glad you joined us.........................