bogged down

GoldenMotor.com

stevem

Feb 12, 2011
Austin tx
Hey All, I've got a Robin EHO 35A-0308 motor on my bike which I love and with probably less than 100 hours on the motor. It has treated me really good and damn if I don't go at least 30 mph in right up there with the auto traffic. It all of a sudden like stopped running though. it will idle okay and sounds normal and then when I feed it fuel it just bogs down and dies out. fuel filter is clean, air filter is clean. I've cleaned and flushed all the fuel lines and tank and rebuilt the carb with a new kit and it STILL does it. Considering buying a new carb but wonder if it could be something else. Also installed brand new spark plug. ??:-||

stevem

Feb 12, 2011
Austin tx
Hey Frank, thanks for the reply. I just took it off again and might just take the carb apart again... but for the time spent I can buy a new one for $50.00 which might be worth it. The two bolts passing through the air cleaner holding the carb to the engine were tight, everything else seems tight too. It's a 4 stroke motor.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Well ,if the new carb solves the problem,you will have a backup that you will discover the hidden blockage in for the next time,,,does the carb have both the idle screw adj, and a power screw adj. ?

stevem

Feb 12, 2011
Austin tx
It's only got the idle adjustment. I found the exploded view and a manual (on this site, awesome). It's pretty simple and darn it I guess I just missed a little piece of something plugging some little hole. Seems like it's maybe an air leak or a blockage? Not getting enough fuel, or too much? Thanks guys!

yimmy87

Sep 3, 2010
kentucky
now im no expert but all four stroke engines i have ever dealt with have a oil slinger in the crank case if its broken the engine will do just like you described :-||

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
now im no expert but all four stroke engines i have ever dealt with have a oil slinger in the crank case if its broken the engine will do just like you described :-||
Non sequitur: my uncle Ray Weaver invented the "oil slinger" you just described. Held the patent for years. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anybody ever wondered how that little thing got in there. He's the closest thing to a famous person we have in our family. :)

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I know this happens mostly to two strokes, but your symptoms are exactly what a clogged exhaust will cause. Maybe something got in there. Wouldn't hurt to remove it and see if it revs. Just eliminate that as a possibility.

stevem

Feb 12, 2011
Austin tx
thanks for the suggestions, I'll check the valves and the exhaust too. Don't know what to do about the "oil slinger" though outside of taking the engine apart...

stevem

Feb 12, 2011
Austin tx
Hurrah! I installed a new carb and it runs like a champ on the first pull. Guess I'll get a rebuild kit and try to find out whats plugging the old one. I'm thinking of getting the larger friction drive roller that presses against the back wheel to get a bit more speed. I have to admit that it flies faster than I can pedal in the highest gear and keeps up with residential traffic. A little bit more speed wouldn't hurt though huh?