Break in secrets

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Very interesting. I will break in the GT5 I bought yesterday in a couple of days and one thing I know for sure. No way in **** I will give a new engine high rpm but full throttle in low and mid range rpm should work fine. I used to build turbo engines in Europe with extreme pressure and compared to that the china motors are extremely simple but its still impressive of the power that little piston can generate. Hopefully I get a good engine.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You need a fairly steady load to keep the new piston rings from chattering until they wear mate in. This gos back to the old argument of folks not babying their motors of all origins and having good strong running motors later on.

I climb a 4 to 5 mile up hill run on all my first start ups and vary my throttle except for a full on high speed run. Just that I like to have that steady load. Then in my mind, from my concept approach rings never chattered like they would have been prone to do otherwise..

Just letting a engine rev or idle in the drive way as a approach to a healthy break in is the absolute worst thing one can do. Their is no load and just chattering going on then

After a period of break in i run it any way I wanna.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
While I do use the hills I have near me. I like to use that analogy to make my point just because I feel it draws a nice picture of what i meant to conjure.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Full throttle and low to mid rpm is the best way to seat the rings quickly, before the crosshatch hone marks smooth down. This forces the rings hard against the bore for quick and good seating of the rings to the bore.
On all my new trucks, engines or rebuilds, and I have had many, I use full throttle to load the rings as soon as the engine is slightly warmed up on the first start.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's with a pressure lube system.

High load at very low rpm is a little rough on the bottom end.

That sounded weird. LOL!

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Could anybody tell me a trick to measure 25:1 for breaking in a 2 stroke with 1,5 liter gas? I dont have any measure cups or anything.

Also. I keep reading NOT to use synthetic oil for breaking in the engine. I got Shell Nautilus non synthetic oil here. Should I use that or get synthetic?

Thank you

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If that's marine (outboard) oil, don't use it regardless of whether its synthetic or not.

I think you can google gasoline ratio calculator.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
shell nautilus is outboard engine oil. Dont use it. It might work okay for awhile, but will shorten the lifespan of your engine. outboard engine has different lubricants, detergents, and lubricity than regular air-cooled oil. It will NOT lubricate or cool your engine as well as regular air cooled oil. Even though it says it can be used in water-cooled or air-cooled engines, it is still outboard engine oil. Trust that we are telling you the right information.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I also got some rests of Valvoline TC-W3. Thats what I used for about 2 months. I want to get synthetic oil again but should or shouldn't I use it for the break in? BTW you are right there is a small outboard icon on it. Never saw that!!

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Any oil that is classified tcw3 is outboard engine oil. You want to buy oil that specifically says on the bottle that its for use in air cooled engines. Is there a walmart near you?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i use honda hp2 currently its not bad on price and full synthetic but im thinking about trying the opti2 out 100:1 mix rate people are talking about but not at 100:1 mabe 50:1 irun the HP2 at 25-30:1 depending on how hot it gets if its hot out i mix heavy

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
lowrider, walmart sells conventional oil in 16 ounce bottles with a ratio cup built into the bottle for like $5-6. it will say supertech universal mix 2 cycle oil. not sure if it says air cooled on the bottle, but i know it is. its conventional, not synthetic. i have been using it for over a year. its maybe not the BEST oil to use, but it works, and it is made for air cooled engines. as far as i know, it wont hurt the engine if you mix it right. I run 32:1, which is 4 ounces of oil to a gallon of gas. buy a one gallon gas can, and you can mix the oil and gas in the can before adding it to your tank. for breakin, add a little more oil. there are a few others on this forum that use it as well, and I havent heard any comments about it shortening engine life.