waiting on my first engine

GoldenMotor.com

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
Ok I'm new to the motobike world and I was wondering if you have to go with synthetic oil or if that is just your best choice? Has anyone gone with the cheap wal-mart stuff. Also I was wondering what the best ratio is I have read several different things and I was just wondering what most people were mixing there fuel like. I have searched and only found a small amount of info, but I have never had good luck with the search on any forum. do very many people do a 7 mile commute one way on these, because I'm sure going to give it a try. anyway I look forward to visiting with everyone and learning all I can.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
You can use whatever oil you want.
Synthetic smokes less.
Dino oil is very good for example Penzoil ashless for small aircooled motors.
Castor leaves a film on the metal that protects but fouls the rings.
A 20 %Castor 80 % synthetic mix like klotz or maxima are what I use.
Do not use outboard oil.
Do use aircooled oil.

For break in most use a 20 % oil to 80 % regular gasoline mix.

A seven mile commute is for me a fraction of what I cover daily.
You will break down.
Flats are common, as are problems with the chain ,idler pulley, carb, fuel tank.
These engines vary in quality a gebe rack mount with a 35 cc subaru is very reliable but priced about $600.00
A frame mount Happy time is about $150.00 to $300.00
Depending on the quality of the kit.

Look to the left for motorized bicycle kits.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Joshua

I use synthetic and recommend it. For my break in I ran 20:1 and run it most of the time 32:1

I ride to work everyday, round trip a little more then 15 miles. But then, a few minutes at home, and I'm out the door again. I average between 20-35 miles a day.
:ride2:

Oh, and I use Bel-Ray MC1

Last edited:

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
I have run both synthetic and natural mix oil, I don't notice much preformance diffrences other than less smoke with the synth. I primarily use chainsaw mix oils, my favorites are Stiel and Huskavarna(sp?), I stay away from Poulan, my bike runs really weak on it. With natural oil I run 32:1 and with synth I go 40:1...Kelly

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I know about waiting on you kit to get there... mine will be here tomorrow (I hope). Hang in there man. It won't be too much longer. You can make it. You can make it. Just keep saying that to yourself.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My oil comes from dollar general only because I go there about every week. It has always worked fine. If it smokes a lot it doesn't bother me, I'm above all that.

As for mixing if you have kids find one of their old cough syrup measuring devices if not buy yourself one at the drug store. I asked the pharmacist and he gave me a measuring cup for one ounce. Then go to the grocery store and buy yourself a 64 oz bottle of your favorite fruit drink (fruit punch for me). To mix the first two bottle of gasoline add three oz of oil to the empty and cleaned bottle then fill it with gasoline. After two bottle reduce it to 2 oz of oil.

any question you have about installing your engine just ask someone here is always willing to help. We aren't always right the first time but we usually can get you on the right track.

welcome aboard

Legal disclaimer: this advice comes from the village idiot... treat it accordingly

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have run both synthetic and natural mix oil, I don't notice much preformance diffrences other than less smoke with the synth. I primarily use chainsaw mix oils, my favorites are Stiel and Huskavarna(sp?), I stay away from Poulan, my bike runs really weak on it. With natural oil I run 32:1 and with synth I go 40:1...Kelly
Really? I used to run Penzoil for air cooled engines until I ran out of it....then I have used the Poulan synthetic ever since in all my two stroke engines, no problems. I never noticed a difference.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
so are there any carb upgrades to make these motors a little more reliable for a daily commuter?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I have used wallmart outboard oil and all the other stuff they sell and I don't see a dimes worth of difference. I like the cheap oils best. Heck I've used 10w30 pennz in a pinch. I mix at around 32 to 1. While in Mo. I mixed it at 40 to 1 and the bike ran fine but I used amsoil while there.
As for the carb I'd get it running good before trying any mods to the engine and I happen to like the simple carb it works good for me.
I have been saying don't try alcohol in the engine because of the problems you can have but the last time I bought alcohol for the racing kart it was $2.00 a gallon.
I might check on the price of alcohol again and may try it in the bike but mileage will go out the window and the price of oil that will mix with the alcohol is pricey. Fuel line will go south quicker the seals will go quicker and a lean run will be a melt down and taps for the engine so I'm not teal hot on the alcohol use but looking.

Last edited:

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Really? I used to run Penzoil for air cooled engines until I ran out of it....then I have used the Poulan synthetic ever since in all my two stroke engines, no problems. I never noticed a difference.
I also use Penzoil and it work fine. I have tried Poulan a couple of times when I didn't have a selection and every time that I do my bike totally looses power. I think its the only oil that I've tried where I noticed much diffrence. I might be crazy and its all in my head but I won't buy it by choice...Kelly

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
sorry more questions, How long realistically will it take for me to get the bike ready to run from start to finish? I have a fair amount of mechanical skill but I defiantly am no pro, I like to tinker with all of my vehicles when ever I can and I alway fix things around the house myself. I know the place I got it from says 4-6 hours but I'm guessing that is wishful thinking.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Don't be sorry, ask all the question's you need, that's what this forum is all about. We are all here to help each other and to share info.

I guess it would depend on the bike frame you intend to use.

Mine, a D-back Della Cruz bolted right up. From box to running took less then two hour's.

Some frame's will take a little more mod work and of course will take longer and your mech. skill's will also determine how long it will take.

Here are some link's for you that may help you along, and again ask away!

Instruction Manual - Gas Powered Bicycle Engines, Motorized Fast Bicycles, Motor Gas Engine Bicycle, Bike Conversion Engine Kits, Motor Assisted Bike Engines 80cc and 49cc, Peddle Start Motorized Bicycle Engine and more!

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
Thank you I will take a look at those now and I really appreciate everyones help and enthusiasm. I guess the frame would help, it is going on my old mountain bike with the v frame and an oversized lower tube. I have the bracket for the oversized tube ready I just need to drill the two holes after I measure the lower mounting studs on the motor.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
Thats what I was thinking I would use, the other side of the clamp is what I was going to mount to the motor after I drill a couple holes in it. Its one of the two piece muffle clamps.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi To All, I`m Not Sure Where To Post On The Forum. I Enjoy Reading The Posts. Trying To Put Some Friction Drives Together To Sell. First Ordered 43cc Engine From Vizan Motors 6/3/08. Paypal.. Then Ordered Rest Of Parts, They Are All Here. 6/13/08 Vizan Emails = Stock Proplem He Will Ship My Motor In A Few Days!!!! I Asked Him Why He Took My Money If He Didn`t Have The Motor. Is This A Common Proplem ?? I Hope My Post Is Not Out Of Line. Ron