Aloha, aluminum frame? new to this

GoldenMotor.com

kiheiboy67

Nov 18, 2009
maui, hawaii
Aloha, i just got an old bike with a motor at a gaurage sale, its a lot of fun, i just purchased a new motor from kings motor, and now i am looking for a bike to put it on. I almost bought the specialized globe carmel cruiser, it looks like it will be perfect for getting around town, but it has a aluminum frame. Will it be ok? stong enough? i also want to put together a chopper bike, or some other cool bikes. if anyone has any recomendations. Thanks Chad .shft.dnut

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
There are a number of successful aluminum bikes here. The Schwinn Point Beach is a good example. Many builders have had very good luck with the aluminum frames so don't be scared off by hearsay regarding their quality and strength. They might not take the abuse that a steel frame will but if you use common sense in your riding you'll be okay.
Tom

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Welcome to the forum.
There are a number of successful aluminum bikes here. The Schwinn Point Beach is a good example. Many builders have had very good luck with the aluminum frames so don't be scared off by hearsay regarding their quality and strength. They might not take the abuse that a steel frame will but if you use common sense in your riding you'll be okay.
Tom

I concur with Tom.....my bike is an aluminum frame...solid as a rock and also bear in mind they resist corrosion ( you live in Maui ). And like Tom says just don't be doing anything on it that might cause issues with you or the bike.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
'Nother aluminum bike here :D

It's held up to my abuses far better than I anticipated, which is pretty impressive as I had high hopes to begin with lol I trail ride it a lot and ride every day, rain or shine - I even had a buddy wreck, sending the bike cartwheeling down the pavement and the frame was fine (wheels & handlebars were toast tho).

There is one thing to look out for with a motorized aluminum bike however and that's chafe. Because of the constant engine vibration, any unguarded contact points will wear quickly. You'll just need to pay a little more attention to where & how you route your cables and anything/everything that's attached to your frame should be snug & secure.

Which isn't such a bad idea anyway ;)

Attachments

mauicruzer

Nov 15, 2009
Maui, Hawaii
Wassup Chad!! NIce to see some another Maui native here on the boards..

I also live in the Kihei area. I just finished putting together my project and only have time to ride it when I can..

Have fun with your new project!!

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
'Nother aluminum bike here :D

It's held up to my abuses far better than I anticipated, which is pretty impressive as I had high hopes to begin with lol I trail ride it a lot and ride every day, rain or shine - I even had a buddy wreck, sending the bike cartwheeling down the pavement and the frame was fine (wheels & handlebars were toast tho).

There is one thing to look out for with a motorized aluminum bike however and that's chafe. Because of the constant engine vibration, any unguarded contact points will wear quickly. You'll just need to pay a little more attention to where & how you route your cables and anything/everything that's attached to your frame should be snug & secure.

Which isn't such a bad idea anyway ;)
i would love to see some trail riding vids

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
has anyone built a globe carmel?i was looking at the large frame a it looks like it would easily handel a 4stroke setup....also there appears to be great CLEARANCE on the back hub for the manic mechanic sproket adpator