Tophat Adapters from kingssalesandservice.com - Is he still around?

GoldenMotor.com

Dirtynails

Jan 7, 2015
Arizona
I placed an order on the 9th and havent heard anything since. I tried calling today but his mailbox isnt accepting messages, I tried emailing his paypal address but got a bounceback.

Has anyone ordered from him recently? If he is shut down are there any other places that make disc brake adapters? Thanks!

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I had the same problem with Kings last fall. How I was able to catch him was to make multiple calls around 5pm. I mean I hounded his phone. It took forever to get my special order sprockets.

I think the adapter that "Jakes" (a vendor on the side of this page) handles is the same as the one that Kings offer.

http://shop.jakebike.com/The-Disc-Biscuit-rear-disc-drive-plate-28.htm

Looks like the one that he has for disc brakes is the 1/4" offset and the other is the 1/8" offset.

Last edited:

Dirtynails

Jan 7, 2015
Arizona
Thanks for the advice and links. I tried to order a 1/8 and a 1/4 as I am not sure which I will need. Assuming they work I am going to need 7 more shortly. I have an active thread talking about building a total of 8 bikes. It looks like jakes only has two in stock =(

I dont mind if Andy is slow, just want to make sure he actually exists. When you said you called multiple times at 5, what time zone was that in? lol.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
Central time zone.

I would check with Jake's. He may have another source. Jake's has always shipped their stuff out in a timely manner too.

On the offset, it will depend on the rear wheel hub you use and if you are going to try to use disc brakes.

When using disc brakes there is always clearance issues. I have found the more offset you have in the sprocket hub the more clearance you will have for the caliper. However with 1/4 offset adapter the backside of it can interfere with the spokes on some of the rear wheels when the adapter is bolted to the hub.

In my opinion the simpler setup is a 1/8 offset adapter and a quality set of rim brakes.

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I think you are correct. The center hole on the kit sprockets, I don't think, is large enough to clear the disc brake bolt holes on the hub.

You could always just order the adapter and see if it mounts up to the kit sprocket. If it does, just enlarge the center hole on a mill or drill press. Worth a shot if it saves you a few bucks.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Kit sprockets have smaller center holes. I just dremeled the hole with a carbide bit, I believe it has to be 2- 1/16"

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I just used it for the sprocket since I am running a hydraulic brake from AGK up front with a 203mm rotor. Thing stops on a dime! If you go to there website, they have pics of the sprocket mounted with a disc brake. Might give you an idea of how it works....

Earbiter

Oct 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
I also placed an order for a top hat adapter on the 26th, and have not received it, or been able to get a hold of him for a status update. I got a tracking number and and my card was charged but there hasn't been any movement of the package since. I guess I'll have to cancel the order and dispute the charge. Ty for the additional option Mike. Seems Jakes had them on back order.