Shifter Kit Tensioner and New Front Mount

GoldenMotor.com

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Made a tensioner from the original kit part with a 90 degree bend,

It is located by a M5 screw on the bottle mount.

The new front mount is a piece of alloy bar also mounted on the bottle mounts.

It was ground to fit tight into the engine.

Attachments

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
I've been thinking of doing something similar but using a spring loaded chain tensioner. I'm tired of the incredible amount of chain stretch on a new chain which so far has required 3 adjustments in 1 hour of use.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The usual problem with the jackshaft to chainring chain loosening is due to two reasons. 1. the engine twisting and 2. the engine slipping on the seat tube. The engine twist as stated in the manual will stop after a ride or 2. The engine slipping on the seat tube may never stop. This is why we created the chain adjuster. It make adjusting the chain easier and holds the engine in place and keeps it from slipping on the seat tube. It takes less than 1/16 of an inch of movement for the chain to go from tight to loose. A chain tensioner may work but it really isn't solving the problem. Hope this helps.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I wouldnt think the tensioner setup would work long as setup, since it is on the drive side of the sprocket. When power is put to the jackshaft the front side of the chain is going to want to tighten up. I would see if you can mount it in the "slack", or backside of the driven sprocket.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks for the input, I will report back on its function after a week or so.

The bike is new and still settling in. I don't want to scratch up the frame with constant height adjustments.

Also being aluminum it is soft so it it allows me to leave the engine in one position. Its a one nut 10 second job to set the tension now.

The idler wheel is on the slack side, only tensions when starting.