Custom lettering and lining / Engine choice ?

GoldenMotor.com

famousdave

Jun 12, 2013
Joliet,Il.
Hello everyone. I purchased a really nice frame/tank/mock oil tank set on ebay and am about to attempt my first board track build. I'm looking for member opinions on engine choices. There are MANY to choose from,and I have no idea of the quality of any of them. Pricing seems to be all over the place too. I'm leaning towards a 4 stroke for ease of operation,but I'm wondering if they make less power, and also,can you still pedal the thing with wider cranks and a smaller sprocket ? Two choices currently on the table are the HS 49cc kit,or the 2 stroke ported offering from Motovelo. But again,everyone claims they have the best product available,so I just don't know. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to invite members (in the Chicagoland area and anywhere else ) to take advantage of my 35yrs of pinstriping and lettering experience. I have done a great deal of restoration and gold leaf work,along with custom pinstriping,airbrush art,etc. Samples of my work can be viewed at famousdavepinstriping.webs.com, or on the "Ace Studios" gallery pages. Feel free to contact me anytime with any questions you may have.
Cheers, "famous Dave" Walters 815-557-6552 or davezilla66@gmail

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Wecome...sure could use your skills in my area. If it was me I would use a four stroke in your build. You cant go wrong with a Honda GX120 or a Honda GC160. I feel the 49cc will not have enough power for your liking.

famousdave

Jun 12, 2013
Joliet,Il.
Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to stay with a 49cc (or unmarked slightly larger) because of our local Illinois bicycle legislation governing motorized 49cc and under bicycles. I made the mistake of running afoul of the state "revenue machine", and am currently "transportationally challenged". I don"t believe the Honda choices would/could pass even a casual scrutinization by the local deputys. And if you (or a customer ) has a special project that warrants a few extra shipping dollars,I'd be happy to do that. Thanks again, Dave

famousdave

Jun 12, 2013
Joliet,Il.
Thanks for the welcomes ! And actually,the landscape happens to be uphill in all 4 directions from my house ! Windy as **** on top of the train bridges,too... I'll post pictures of the build as it progresses,and as soon as I can figure out how to match wits with my new "smart phone". In the meantime,what's the general consensus on the HS 4-stroke ? Orrrr, is there a difference between the $150 2-stroke kits and the $400 kits ? Spend the bucks for the the 9 horse Morini and REALLY raise a little **** ? What do you guys think ?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
a 79cc harbor freight is the way to go. check out CCC's or scotto's. but if your sure you cant pull it off, a 49cc ktm/clone is the way to go. check out sportscarpat's morini BTR. nothing against morini's but it seems they have one foot in the grave. stay away from motovelo its a scam. alot of people use the china kits call venice motor bikes. dennis