Greetings from PA

GoldenMotor.com

pharside

Feb 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey guys, been prowling around the site getting info since last summer and thought I'd say hi.
I first saw a motorized bicycle a couple years ago and thought it was about the coolest idea I ever saw. I started looking into it a bit more last summer and decided to put a bike together over the winter. I like working with new parts a lot more than old grimy junk, so I splurged and bought myself something for a change (I'm married with 5 kids, it doesn't happen much... ;) I bought a 26" Schwinn Clairmont and a Grubee GT5 66cc kit from gasbike.net and started building. I've since modified or upgraded much of the bike and painted the engine black with a red cylinder head to match the black & red bike. Looks pretty good so far. I only had it out 3 times and I just about get mobbed every time... Since getting it running late last fall, I've torn down the engine again to do some clean-up work and port & polish the top end. I followed some advice I read, and before installing the engine the first time, I tore it down to check everything over and found some loose coil bolts, but everything else was OK. I put it back together, adjusted the carb, and lit 'er up. I put a center stand on the bike so I could start it in place, it started on the second try and settled into a fairly smooth idle and seems to run pretty good. After being satisfied that it wasn't a dud, I set out to make it as good as it can be. So far, I've polished the combustion chamber, sanded the head gasket mating surfaces using the sand paper/glass trick, port matched the intake and exhaust with a Dremel tool, found a NGK BPR6ES that I'm going to try (it's long, but I thing it might work), I replaced the coil wire with an Accel Super Stock Spiral Core 7mm with matching boot, & scrapped the in-tank fuel filter in favor of a clear in-line filter. I'm doing the break-in with garden variety 2 cycle oil at 16:1, and I have a bottle of bottle of Amsoil Dominator 2-cycle oil for later. The only thing I have left is figuring out how to clean up the transfer ports in the cylinder...
This site has been an invaluable source of info! Thanks for all the tips and tricks!
.crt.

Last edited:

pharside

Feb 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
I live about 40 miles south of Erie, in a little piss-ant town where we don't see things like motorized bicycles very often... lol
.crt.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
On a side note, anyone know the laws on these things here in PA?
.crt.
Yes. Local laws may vary, and if your local laws say different than state law, go by your local law but be aware that if you travel outside your local area without tags, you may still be pulled over. First things first, PA state law requires that any on-road motorized vehicle be registered and insured, regardless of displacement. Now we'll get down to classifications. State law defines a motorized bicycle or moped as any motorized two-wheeled vehicle having a displacement of less than 50cc, no more than 2 horsepower, capable of speeds not greater than 25mph, and having an automatic transmission, which only means no clutching to shift. If your two-wheeled vehicle has a displacement greater than 49cc, more than 2 horsepower, goes faster than 25mph, or you have to clutch to shift gears, it is a motorcycle and subject to all DOT requirements for motorcycles. For motorized bicycles, you must have a DOT approved headlight, tail light and brake light. Turn signals are not required. Now the good news here is that there are loopholes. You don't actually have to prove any of those things except for the lights and the transmission. There is a required initial inspection called an enhanced vehicle inspection, but its mostly visual. They dont open your engine to check the displacement or clock you on a speedometer. Once you pass the initial inspection, yearly inspection is not required.

pharside

Feb 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks BBB for the info. Now the question remains, how do I install DOT approved lighting, or more specifically, how do I power it. Also, how do I set up a brake light? Are there any kits available? I have a battery operated twin bulb headlight that I replaced with LED bulbs, and I have been researching how to power it with the white wire from the ignition, supported by a 6v 4.5a battery, but I'm a bit stalled there because my knowledge of electrical systems doesn't quite equal my mechanical aptitude... It's my understanding that the white wire puts out AC current, not DC, so there would have to be a transformer of some sort to switch it over to DC.. But I don't have a clue how to do it.. I can rebuild an engine blindfolded, I can make damn near anything out of metal, but electronics confuse the crap out of me..

Last edited: