New Biker

GoldenMotor.com

Bushwacker

Mar 24, 2012
Minnesota
Hi everyone,
I,m new to motorized bicycles, but far from new to motorized adventure. My first mini bike was a Rupp 2 1/2 hp, its kind of like going full circle! I still own a Harley Sportster, a Honda XL 650 and numerous snowmobiles and items to keep my cylinder count up quite respectable. The high cost of gasoline has driven my search for transportation/adventure to the motorized bicycle hobby. Of course I could do it the easy way with a simple kit but after checking into it it seemed like a one speed motor bike or an expensive multi speed bike could be made. Well, I took a look out in my shed and there was that old French built tandem (bicycle built for 2) I had seasoned it for a dozen years. Yes, the tires were shot, but after oiling the chains, cables and gears I had it shifting and the brakes were still good. Here is my plan and where I'm at so far. I plan on using the rear crank as a jackshaft and having full use of all 10 speeds, the front crank will be removed also. Downside I will be peddal less, but the great news is I shouldn't need them. I realized I would need a 4 stroke, but the 49cc kit sounded boring, so I ordered a predator 99 cc engine and thats about were I'm at right now. I'm hoping a centrifugal clutch w10 teeth to a 60 tooth on the crank will work. What do you think? Thanksusflg

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard!

...Entirely do-able!

The predator will probably pull abt a 15:1 ratio...

A Torq-a-verter seems to be the most popular way to go with them.

Plenty of threads to get the right info from, here on the forum!

Best
rc

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I thought about doing a tandem one day as well. You could put a left side crank on the front and back with freewheels in the left side crank. Then you could keep your front peddles. I've got a Staton Inc crank drive kit on my bike. Staton is very good at building custom parts. You need to read your local laws for the engine size. Otherwise you may have to build in a motor driven cycle category.

Bushwacker

Mar 24, 2012
Minnesota
I thought about doing a tandem one day as well. You could put a left side crank on the front and back with freewheels in the left side crank. Then you could keep your front peddles. I've got a Staton Inc crank drive kit on my bike. Staton is very good at building custom parts. You need to read your local laws for the engine size. Otherwise you may have to build in a motor driven cycle category.
Yes, I would like to keep the front pedals, but trying to keep costs down and I'm not sure what a free wheel crank would cost. Also I am looking for a 49cc engine sticker for the Predator. I have a 20 mile commute, I'm hoping for some nice topend speed also.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I had two Whiteside trails freewheels put in my crank kit and it was over $200 and it's just the right side. But I wanted top quality. However you can upgrade as you can afford to.

Bushwacker

Mar 24, 2012
Minnesota
Yes, the crank would only have a gear on the left for a front tandem. Good Idea to retain a sprocket for future use on the rear crank. Do they make trick cranks with left side sprockets?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Staton inc could make custom cranks for you. By having a freewheel in the front crank as well it wouldn't be affected by the back crank. That the back crank could peddle and the front stay still.