hey guys

GoldenMotor.com

tonynorris

Jun 27, 2011
illinois
hi i am starting from scratch on a motorbike. i havent got the frame nor the engine yet but i have a few ideas of what id like. what i want out of the bike is something with speed to take me places in a hurry. i was thinking about going with a harbor freight engine, 212 cc's. i was planning on mounting this on a rear bike basket/rack. the only problem is that im not entirely sure how to set it up.some important questions would be, how much fabrication goes into it, considering i dont have a welder, or machine tools. the most high tech tool i have is a simple drill and dremel. also, i know i need a differential clutch <did i say that right?> and the extra sprocket and chain, the bike itself including the rear bike rack, but what else am i missing? should i just go with a standard diy engine kit for my first time?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Tony, welcome.

Is a huge question. Best I can tell you is look at the many great builds and how-to's in the DIY section. Also look at the kit threads. If I may be so bold, fast and bicycles are not a great idea. Folks can get amazingly fast speeds but are usually well experienced builders and bicyclists.

Also, be sure to check your local DMV as to what size engine and speeds allowed. A larger engine may not get you any higher top speed (depending, is a broad statement) May just give you more power. For instance, many 50cc engines could run circles around my 79cc and vise-versa.

That was not a lot of help, eh? Best I can do is suggest read, read and read some more.

Again, welcome and ride safe.

tonynorris

Jun 27, 2011
illinois
thanks dan, i read up on a bit more and figured out for my first build all i need is one of them chineese motors with a shift kit. one step at a time