Back And Aparently Crazier Than Ever!

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
The only bad thing about these old Maytag engines is they don't have a lot of power. So you have to make sure you get your gearing right to be able to move at a decent rate.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah its rated @5/8hp. I have reset the governor to get just shy of 2000rpm so its probably making a little more. Should ease along in the 15mph range at those rpms with the roller size I have chosen. Fortunately I live in the coastal flats, I doubt it would climb much of a hill!

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yes, a very nice cruising speed! My first bike has a Briggs WMB motors in it (1/2 horse). I got it up to almost 30 once, but it really likes to stay around 20. Not super fast, but I could pull a stump with that bike, it has a lot more torque than it has speed.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Heres the basically finished build. Still have to get a key for the drive roller shaft and some Coleman fuel and I will be ready to ride. Some where along the way I must have lost some spacers on the right motor mount at the frame. I kept finding slight alignment issues and just worked around them. Now that the tool box is mounted its obvious as the door wont clear the flywheel now while it did before. Oh well deal with it later. Have been pedaling it around a bit over the weekend. Rides very well. Plenty of clearance around the motor and even though there is 35+ lbs of motor fairly high it really doesnt feel overly top heavy. Very stable and the long spring seat is super comfortable. Bike looks better than the pics, color is hard to photograph.

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Why does everyone want high HP? To me it's about creating something out of what you got or can find. Like cannon ball making something you can't by. (Just me ) but back in the 50's that's all there was maybe 1hp max that would fit in a bike (had more fun then a barrel of monkeys!) The speed limit is only 20 or 30 in most states. I love this old Maytag build and will be doing something like it wit.h a 1hp Briggs from the 40's ............Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Curt! Yeah HP was pretty low when I was a kid too. I cut a zillion acres of grass with a 2hp push mower, cost 19.95 at the grocery store and the Old Man still raised **** about the price. I was looking at some past adds in a 50s Popular Mechanics and there were 1.5hp mowers also. I thought I was big stuff with a 3hp on my Cyclops mini-bike. I think the old Maytag will ease on down the road with the charm and nostalgia(not to mention smoke) of long ago days.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yes, a very nice cruising speed! My first bike has a Briggs WMB motors in it (1/2 horse). I got it up to almost 30 once, but it really likes to stay around 20. Not super fast, but I could pull a stump with that bike, it has a lot more torque than it has speed.
Way cool build! Would be really neat to get together with a group of bikes like these and have a group ride. I can just imagine the heads turning and the jaws dropping!

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
I think (at least in my humble opinion) that people focus on HP because of speed and wanting to actually be able to ride. If you don't have enough power to pull you around at a walking speed, your bike isn't going to be much fun :p
As for the group of low powered bikes, my dad's friends and I have all built motorbikes! And they're all very different. We haven't ridden together yet, but we're all really close to being done, so my fingers are crossed!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That would be Kooool. I did pick up a old bike from a guy that was built in the 50's with a old car generator as friction drive. The motor is stuck but I have another motor, and after reading this I just may have to get it going...........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A generator as a friction drive? That sounds awesome!
Yep they use to take a old generator and cut the houseing out of the bottom portion so the arneture run against the wheel. Mine even has the arneture turned down in the center to match the wheel curve got to be the easiest set up to build. The engine fits in frame and belt runs back and you just lift the generator to stop or go............Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Heres the basically finished build. Still have to get a key for the drive roller shaft and some Coleman fuel and I will be ready to ride. Some where along the way I must have lost some spacers on the right motor mount at the frame. I kept finding slight alignment issues and just worked around them. Now that the tool box is mounted its obvious as the door wont clear the flywheel now while it did before. Oh well deal with it later. Have been pedaling it around a bit over the weekend. Rides very well. Plenty of clearance around the motor and even though there is 35+ lbs of motor fairly high it really doesnt feel overly top heavy. Very stable and the long spring seat is super comfortable. Bike looks better than the pics, color is hard to photograph.
CB2,
The bike turned out wonderfully well. Very much retro without going crazy about it. Nicely understated paint job and everything fits so well together that it has a factory look to it. Well done, sir!

As for having a quest for power or speed, for me it is more a matter of having enough power to pull a bike up hills without pedaling and decent enough acceleration at low speed to pull out from a dead stop even on a bit of incline. Add to that the circus bear at the controls and a sidecar with dog as biker babe passenger and it does require some grunt to get it all moving. Being partly crippled, much pedal assist takes all the fun out of riding for me. That doesn't mean I want to go 40 mph on a motored bicycle. Twenty is good and thirty is thrilling. No death wish. Around a hundred CCs or gears serves me well and is enough.It is just a bicycle after all.
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the kind comments SB! If I was living back in north GA. instead of here on the coast I probably wouldnt have done this build. You are right about the necessity to have simple operational HP available. Probably the most pleasant and most used bike Ive had is the 2.5hp Lifan powered FD. It is still governed and tops around 25, but has the power to handle just about anything encountered. Also crusing in the low to mid twenties is very nice, not a lot of wind yet you are still getting somewhere. Ive got plenty of stuff that goes fast, but a slow cruise is fun and relaxing.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well finally got all the ducks in a row to ride the Maytag. Starts on the third pull cold, first is to pull the fuel, second is mix with air by opening the control and third you are off and running. After tuning for max rpm you open the control to a bit on the rich side, pedal to probably 6mph and ease in the roller and you are off and running. Tuning the knob underway sometimes gets a better setting, just watch out for the rear cylinders spark plug wire! I havent GPSed it yet but estimate close to 15mph. My chase biker could keep up but not for long(old guy like me). Has a sweet smooth sound. The governor is still operational and you can hear it load and unload over the slight rises in the basically flat roads here. Sounds cool on the back down. Has no issues other that the exhaust oils the rear tire s bit. Gonna get some sheet cooper and make a nice deflector flap. Hope that gets it, cleaning black oil of cream tires in no fun! Very pleased with the results. The smooth drone of the engine always gets looks from folks, once they see what it is the look is always followed by an enthusiastic wave.