Vintage Mechanical Horns

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey msrfan, I currently have some old long handlebars with a home-made crossbar fitted on the bike. I would like to mount it on the crossbar, and the bar is 5/8".

I wondered how that axle was going to get repaired. Tig welding is really the way to go, it seems so useful, I may need to save up for a machine. I don't have 220v though.

Thanks again for all the hard work and extensive documentation.

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
No problem Gilbert. I'll make sure it mounts to the 5/8'' bar.
I also love Tig, it's so neat and clean and precise. Running a file over the welded up tooth seems like it's already hardened.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The axle came out pretty good and works smoothly, so I assembled the flywheel.

Now, Gilbert, tell me what color you want the horn. Basic gloss black? I also have some reds, off whites, greens, blues etc.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Gilbert, your horn came out pretty good. Still beat up some but sounds cool. Very loud. I made a completely new bracket for a 5/8'' bar instead of using a bushing. I'll send your original 7/8'' in case you want to put it on larger bars. If you use the decal, place it wherever you want on the horn. I'll try to mail it tomorrow. Thanks for allowing me to use your ooga for this thread.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Great job on the resto !! This thread will help me to get my horn cleaned up and sounding better. Mine is like the lil white one bottom right on your photo. Was and is still Monark Super Deluxe I picked up. They are definitely a head turner.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I am speechless, I am not worthy. A thousand thank yous to you and your family. Your restoration has gone beyond my expectations, and then beyond my wildest dreams!

I don't use my horn in my car very often at all (always seems a little obnoxious), but I have a feeling I will be pushing on this horn every chance I get, like at every lighted intersection I travel through, sort of like a S.F. Cable car.

Thanks again Dale, you're "one of the good ones", as they say.

I will honk it proudly,

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Great job on the resto !! This thread will help me to get my horn cleaned up and sounding better. Mine is like the lil white one bottom right on your photo. Was and is still Monark Super Deluxe I picked up. They are definitely a head turner.
Thanks MotoMags. Is your horn like the one in my first photo? If it is, I've been experimenting with making new leather cups for them. Had marginal luck so far, but I'm still working on it.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Amazing!

I'm going start looking for one now...

Thanks for sharing!

-Kirk
Alright Kirk. Hope you find one with all the parts. I also made a tool to adjust the tone. It reaches down inside the horns with the deep bell and turns the nut independently of the screw. Three sockets fit all the different horns I've dealt with.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Thanks MotoMags. Is your horn like the one in my first photo? If it is, I've been experimenting with making new leather cups for them. Had marginal luck so far, but I'm still working on it.
Made a color error. Mine is the Small red one,bottom. Right in first picture. Mine is white!

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I am now the proud owner of a hand operated ooga horn! Here are some pictures of the horn that was lovingly restored by msrfan, mounted on my bike.

I am a bit spoiled by listening to my model A horn I never mounted. It has a pretty long bugle on it and has a nice deep sound.

The working horn I now have is quite shrill and trebly. I have already tried to fashion a home-made bugle to add on to the horn, and it sounds a little better.
I made it out of a tomato paste can, and the bottom of a tin can of beans.

I apologize to msrfan, for already messing with this beautifully restored item.

I might also look into mounting the horn either below the crossbar instead of on top, or mounted alongside the handlebar near the throttle to allow me to push the horn without taking my hand off the throttle. We shall see, but for now, watch out four wheelers! You shall hear my fury!

Gilbert

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It has been fun to follow along in this restoration adventure leading finally to the photos above. It is cool in it's own respect, bringing back to life an unlikely old artifact from the trash bin of a time gone by.

But for me the best part is the friendship and camaraderie of you guys. I have a sense of how it must feel as you ride to look down at your new to you horn and give it a push to sound off... each time a kind of celebration of fun, mechanical know-how, history and childhood extended.

When I look at my builds the things that mean the most to me are the contributions of my friends. Fasteddy making sparks with his welder and Canadian wit, Tinsmith with his soldering iron doing wizardry making copper gas tanks and the old fox, Curtis who always has great suggestions, shares his treasury of dump find parts and is wise in the way of how stuff works. And there are more of you good people who have shared parts and comments and good cheer (including both of you guys). It is all there in my rides which have more to do with this forum of friends than they do with me. I'm just a boy who never grew up making wishes and it is through the kindness of others that it all comes true.

So, Gilbert, when I look at your horn I am reminded of my own good fortune. And what a fine little horn it is! Sound off for our forum of friends... ah ooo gah! Woohoo!
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Wow, Gilbert. I didn't realize you've never heard these little horns before now. It's true you can't get a deep tone from that small diaphragm.
Is your model A horn mechanical or electrical? Maybe it can go on your bike. I have larger horns on two of my bikes and they sound just like a real ooga. They're just so LARGE.
Anyway, I don't mind you messing with it as you may give me some ideas by adding cones to it. Enjoy it however you want.
I toyed with the idea of making my own version of this type of horn, but never followed through. If I decide to make one, I'll post the thread. It really looks cool with your bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I certainly followed it and didn't want to interrupt the flow so waited 'till now.

The talents of our members simply astound me. Combined, there probably isn't much that couldn't be accomplished by the folks who make up our forum community. The broad knowledge base coupled with years of experience we see here is a tribute to human ingenuity and perseverance. "If it don't work, fix it" seems to be the mantra.

Thank you msrfan for this entertaining and valuable thread. Hats off to you, sir. Beautiful work.

Tom

--

Aug 18, 2014
msrfan,

That's pretty interestin' read, I enjoyed it..

How heavy gauge is the "can" on back of those mechanical noise makers?

It look simple in design, kinda wondered if someone could duplicate some..

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
They're about 18 ga. Stamping dies are very expensive and the market may not support the effort. I believe someone is reproducing the horns, as I believe I've seen one for sale on ebay a while back, but never pursued it. They're