RT Dax Air Filter question.

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
looks like that will breathe better but IIRC it's a 15mm carb trying to push air through a 13mm tract. If what you're trying to do is get more power, try getting a bigger carb with bigger intake manifold. Someone here did dual carbs, no idea how it worked out for him, but I imagine there wasnt much gain. Similar to blowing air through a straw, if you squeeze part of the straw, it'll get harder to blow through. This is similar to a 15mm carb going into a 13mm intake (it's actually 12.7mm, or 1/2"). The trouble is, though, that unless you have a GT5-a or GT2-a from grubee (or super rat/super mouse), the maximum width you can open up your intake port is 7/8" (22mm). Being 32mm spacing, 6mm bolts, leaves 26mm between bolts. 22mm wide leaves 2mm on each side of the intake. BUT remember those bolts to screw it down are 10mm. so -5mm from both sides gives you 22mm O.D. maximum. The stock intake is 3/4" O.D. (about 19mm). So even though the stock intake manifold is too small for the 66cc motor, it's also as big as it can possibly be.

The solution? Well you have two options. You can get reeds (Arrow reeds give you tons of space to custom make an adapter for the carb), or you can get a new jug (www.motorizedbicycle.ca has GT5-a jugs). If you have a type D motor, this will set your ports 1mm higher, giving you a bit more high end power. Both intake and exhaust are matched at 1" wide as well, and the intake bolt spacing is 40mm, meaning you can get a bit bigger than a 1" O.D. pipe, which will fit up to a 21mm carb (which combined with reeds should easily be enough to feed the motor all the way up to an insane 11,000 RPM, or without reeds probably 11,500 or 12,000 RPM).

You're on the right track though, these motors get huge boosts from being able to breathe better, thats why these motors love the expansion pipes so much (it gives it an "extra breath" each stroke thanks to the reverse wave). However I wouldnt spend too much time finding an air filter to breathe better, as stated above, your weak point is in your intake manifold, not your carb.

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
If you want more power that's a simple solution. Just buy a CNS carb, you engine may just bog with it and if it does all you gotta do is go up on the main jet size until you get it running sweet!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Airflow is determined by the porting. Bigger carbs are wasted money unless you engine can make use of it.
Bigger is NOT always better.
Running without a filter does NOTHING except shorten your engines lifespan.

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Airflow is determined by the porting. Bigger carbs are wasted money unless you engine can make use of it.
16mm throat carbs (our stock carb) on a 13mm manifold means an inefficiency of 3mm. Air flow is determined by every single part of the intake, from the carb to the ports to the transfers and in 2-stroke cases, the exhaust as well. The weakest link will determine if your motor will get enough air, and in my theory, the sharp bend and tiny diameter of the manifold is too restricting for a 66cc at high RPMs, but is adequate for 5000 RPM. This is why your tuned pipes give you such a huge boost, the pipe gives the motor an extra chance to breathe. To get more top end you can add reed valves, increasing the time the motor can breathe per stroke. The reeds available to us also eliminate that sharp bend in the stock manifold. To make PROPER use of a larger carb, you'll need a Super Rat or GT5-a jug. It's a good jug too for those wanting more power, it's already port matched at 25mm, both intake and exhaust gaskets are interchangable.

running without an air filter WILL change your engine's characteristics, but it's better done by jetting, as maniac stated, it will also shorten your engine's lifespan. It's there for a reason, but it may be good for a short ride to test if your jetting is too rich, taking off the filter lets it breathe better and leans out the mix a bit. If it runs better, means you need to go to a smaller size jet. Do this for testing purposes only, permanently running without a filter is bad news.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Im runnng an NT carb with the little short manic type intake, max rpm is 7860rpm and 42mph it just dies after that..... cant suck a single bit more air, my jug is well ported, transfers opened up a few thousands and intake port widened a little to match intake, piston skirt cut so the at TDC nothing is blocking port, I can cruise for miles and miles at 40mph but the airflow just max's out at 7800rpm.

I have a simple remedy that I will reveal when I have time to buid my fix......!

Map
.wee.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
All you got do is ride a street when someone's cutting the grass and BOOM YOUR MOTOR just said goodnight Gracie .:-||

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
As for the main question, it would likely not change airflow. Unless a filter is extremely dirty, it will still let in more than enough air for our little engines. Running without a filter is almost pointless and can let dirt in the air get into your engine.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
All you got do is ride a street when someone's cutting the grass and BOOM YOUR MOTOR just said goodnight Gracie .:-||
Ditto....

no airy filtery is no goody for nadda...!

All Engines have them in one form or another for a reason, its kinda like the old American express travelers checks commercials back in the day.

" Never leave home without it "

Map
reddd

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Ditto....

no airy filtery is no goody for nadda...!

All Engines have them in one form or another for a reason, its kinda like the old American express travelers checks commercials back in the day.

" Never leave home without it "

Map
reddd
:-||

Map are you speakyn in "hum-dinger" again?
Your scaring the whach-a-ma-call-its out of the
all **** forgot.