Exhaust Wrap and Engine Cooling

GoldenMotor.com

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Was at MotoSport website. Was looking at DEI exhaust wrap. From the reading I got that it is supposed to allow for greater heating of the wrapped pipe rather than conducting the heat back to the engine. Also the hot exhaust gasses will exit the pipe at a faster rate. Both should result cooler internal engine temperatures. Did I get this right? Anyone tried this? I am trying to focus on a cooler engine rather that just more power.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
If want the ultimate in cooling , then go to RCMachineman and purchase one of his heads he's a member here . I did and its the best head out there . Other wise known as the "FRED HEAD" I it's RCMACHINE.COM you can have both power&the cooling . Don't take word for it, ask around you'll see.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The preformance theory behind header wrap is it's supposed to reduce the turbulence caused by shock cooling the exhaust gasses... which is plausible enough with a large V8's headers I suppose, though it's something only a dyno would show even with that size an engine - with our scale I doubt there's any significant difference.

On the other hand I wrap all my exhaust systems for what I suspect is it's actual, primary intent & that's keeping the radiant temperature down - ambient under the hood or for our stuff, helping prevent burns. What I love it for is the effect it has on the exhaust tone, the sound itself is altered & some of the high pitched "ting" is reduced, when combined with any sort of effective muffler/baffle/glasspack system results in what I think to be a richer tone and with a full length system it helps direct even more of the noise behind you resulting in a quieter, more comfortable ride.

In other words it's mostly aesthetics ;)

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Yes, I was also thinking of the burn factor and wondered about how it would effect the sound. Sounds interesting. Think I will give it a try. Thanks for the information!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Good point dodge dude, forgot to mention that lol

I do recommend cleaning, prepping & base coating the exhaust system thoroughly before wrapping, then utilizing the header wrap paint also offered which not only helps reduce the rust issue, but stops the prickly "fuzzy pipe" problem dead in it's tracks...

I should also prolly mention that you should shop around, the motorcycle wrap "kits" are usually really overpriced comparatively - there's often 50' rolls of 1" wrap for around $20ish on ebay, which is enough to do about three full length bike systems w/a bit extra for do-overs. Small, stainless hose clamps are far easier to use & more reliable than the ties they offer for it & the wrap paint is worth every penny, it even comes in assorted colors lol :D

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
The site I was looking at these products had a silicone (I suppose) product to spray over the wrap after in place and tied down. Think that would help to lessen oxidation?
It might be silicone. But I would be wary of that since I think silicone might want to go poof at high temps. lol

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
It might be silicone. But I would be wary of that since I think silicone might want to go poof at high temps. lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-Aluminum-High-Temp-Silicone-Spray-Exhaust-Wrap-Spray-Coating-NO-RESERVE-/151068466836?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232c61de94&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use Thermo-tec header wraps on most of my bikes to stop the "burnt drumstick" effect on my leg. i've never noticed an increase in power, and never checked if it actually cooled the motor, because i've never had an overheating problem. i've had meltdowns on my race bike, but that was from leaning the crap out of them and hoping they last 50+ laps...

i don't use prep sprays to combat rust, as our exhausts get so hot they'll burn off any moisture, and the stock pipe is such a cheap piece of crap anyway, who cares if it rusts? odds are, you'll need a new motor before your pipe rusts out.

i haven't tried the sprays, but one trick i invented to keep the ends from fraying is to squirt a thick line of Krazyglue across the wrap, then cut it after it dries. doesn't burn off and doesn't fray.

when i start the wrap, i make my first wrap a few inches up the pipe, not a close wrap, more like a spiral tail, then over wrap tight so you don't need a hose clamp at that end. looks cleaner in my opinion.

(and yeah, the motor's all crazy backwards, i know... :))