Trying to figure out if it's worth it

GoldenMotor.com

c2k5

Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I'm thinking about building a motor bike as a hobby and as means to save money on gas. I already have a bike to fit the motor on. I'm thinking about getting this kit to install on my bike, and upgrading the spark plug, carb, and fuel filter. I plan to use it to commute 7 miles to and from work, and to the store and friends places. I have a few questions though. Would I realistically be able to achieve 30 to 35mph while still getting atleast 100+mpg? I weigh around 130 and have a Next Avalon bike w/ 26" wheels, which I beleive weighs around 40ibs. Here is the link to it. Could I push the engine at its max power to achieve 30-35mph and have the engine be reliable? I've done a little searching and read that a shift kit is the best way to do this, however I really don't want to drop another $200 into it for the kit. Is the shift kit really necessary to obtain these speeds and mpg?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That's the normal preformance parameters of that type motor stock, just broken in, well tuned & running properly.

It's a common misconception that shift kits aid top speed - they don't, if anything they (very) marginally reduce absolute top speed through increased friction & drag (additional chains, redirects & bearings)... provided the final ratio is the same between geared & ungeared comparison ofc.

What they do provide (at the cost of somewhat increased complexity & thus maintenance) is vastly improved acceleration & a more comfortable cruise, as you can gear it so you're not running redline at your desired speed.

The single most desirable aftermarket part for a distinct increase in preformance is nothing more than an expansion chamber exhaust - it's an intrinsic part of a two stroke engine, left out of the kits to cut costs & can be had for as little as $20 from ebay/etc (some fabrication required as those are pit bike/scooter pipes). The most important preformance modification is "port matching" - opening the intake & exhaust manifolds (grind/file) & trimming the intake & exhaust gaskets to match the intake & exhaust ports in the engine as best you're able - which is far easier than it sounds lol http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=164391&postcount=25 & http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=164403&postcount=27 from this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=16646

Last edited:

c2k5

Jun 24, 2012
Texas
So cleaning up after the crappy Chinese work can improve your performance quite abit? I was going to disassemble the engine and clean it once I got it cause I've read some about little pieces of metal shavings being inside the block. It's a good deal on the engine but man that is some sloppy work lol.

Will traveling 35mph at the redline be hard on the engine and reduce it's lifespan significantly? I'd like to get at least 2-3 years worth of life on it.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
2strokes and aluminum frames are not a good mix

unless you make custom mounts the 2stroke kits will not fit due to the odd tubes the frame uses.

Even mounting a friction drive to this bicycle is a tricky job due to how the frame is made

Being that it is a full suspenion bicycle you would need a custom chain tensioner and the Sick bike Parts shiftkit mount will not fit this Bicycle due to the tubes used to make the frame. The stock Vbrakes are stamped POS and need to be replaced with better brakes

Yes traveling at redline/WOT will shorten the life of the motor 4strokes are built much better

I do own a avalon so yes I do know the short coming of that Bicycle
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38406

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
A lot of places claim "150MPG" or "up to 150MPG" on those kits, but that's not realistic, from my experience.

I've had 5 66cc kits and they've all averaged 80-90MPG. Granted, I'm 6'4" 230 or so in tennis shoes, but I also pedal a lot under 30.

If you want that engine to last at 30-35MPH, you need a tall gear (36T or less) and the ability to pedal up to 10MPH or so before you let the clutch out.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes- a 36 or less REALLY cuts down on the revs in that range- since you are lightweight, if you arent riding very steep hills or mountains you'll have no problems- a 36 would take you up almost anything anyway-

I have a 34- a $30 investment that easily gets a 30 cruise, and the motor is starting to scream at 35, so I haven't pushed beyond, because
http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-T-Sprocket-Bicycle-Engine-Kit-Motorized-Bike-/120936669817

it IS a VERY PRACTICAL: hobby if you keep that approach in mind- I spent a couple of years finding out how I liked the bike- the bigger gear, 700c rolling wheels, bilet intake, perpendicular alloy handlebars, even a lighter better rolling 415 Trike chain- sound dampeners and a longer pipe

you can always go to a shift kit later, but try the basics first- build the "Chinese Junk" of motor transport

now I don't want to mess with it all that much- arthritis and tension- but I just save all kinds of miles and gas expense on the car. Happy Boating!

Last edited: